Aquarium Salt

Draagyn84

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a new (Running for 3 weeks) tank. It's a superfish aqua 40 25 litre tank. I currently have 3 x guppies, 3 x glo lights and 1 neon tera. I have experience a few deaths when starting up but seemed ok for the last week until now. Guppies seem to be stressed, but the other fish fine. One guppy is acting rather aggressive today and one of his eyes has gone black.. All 3 seem to be at the top of the tank all the time today. Not sure what it is, but have read can be due to stress. Don't have a tester kit. Know I need to get one which I'm going to do tomorrow. I know deaths are to be expected with new tanks but I feel rather disheartened that I keep doing something wrong for them to keep dying.

Is there anything I can do or add to the tank to make my water any better?

What's your thoughts on adding aquarium salt to the tank?

Are you doing your water changes at least?

I wouldn't add salt, your tetras are salt intolerant.

It sounds like your tank isn't cycled, so you probably have high levels of ammonia and possibly nitrite, both of which bind to the fish's blood and stop them absorbing oxygen properly. That's why they're all hanging round at the surface, where the oxygen concentration is higher.

You don't need to add anything to the tank, apart from lots and lots of good, clean water that's temperature matched and dechlorinated.

Try and change at least 95% of the water right now; leave just enough water for the fish to swim upright (don't forget to switch your heater/filter off first!) before refiling with warmed, dechlorinated water. Then do 50 or 60% every day until you can get some test kits.

Cut right back on feeding until your tank is cycled. Fish don't need much food, so a small pinch (all they can eat in two or three minutes) every other day would help. Don't worry, they won't starve!

Yeah I would agree with fluttermoth, plus for a 25L tank, there's too many fish. 

Do a big water change.

Next, you do need to do one of three things. Adding salt, as your problem is nitrite poisoning, not ammonia at this stage, is one possibility. Salt is the recommended alleviator for brown blood disease which is the common name for nitrite poisoning.

Brown blood disease occurs in fish when water contains high nitrite concentrations. Nitrite enters the bloodstream through the gills and turns the blood to a chocolate-brown color. Hemoglobin, which transports oxygen in the blood, combines with nitrite to form methemoglobin, which is incapable of oxygen transport. Brown blood cannot carry sufficient amounts of oxygen, and affected fish can suffocate despite adequate oxygen concentration in
the water. This accounts for the gasping behavior often observed in fish with brown blood disease, even when oxygen levels are relatively high........

Sodium chloride (common salt, NaCl) is used to “treat” brown blood disease. Calcium chloride can also be used but is typically more expensive. The chloride portion of salt competes with nitrite for absorption through the gills........

from https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&ved=0CGEQFjAG&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsrac.tamu.edu%2Findex.cfm%2Fevent%2FgetFactSheet%2Fwhichfactsheet%2F110%2F&ei=YcfeUe-hHLa34APjyICgBA&usg=AFQjCNGBzzMg5b9TUwF127-tY8CSSSgSMQ&bvm=bv.48705608,d.dmg

If nitrite is present, a water change should be performed. If the fish species in the tank will tolerate increased salinity, salt can be added to the aquarium to increase the level of chloride in the water. Chloride levels should be at least six times greater than nitrite levels. Chloride prevents the uptake of nitrite by the fish's blood thus eliminating the effects of brown blood disease. However, the addition of salt/chloride does not remove nitrite from the system, and the source of the nitrite must be controlled.
from http://florida-agriculture.com/consumers/recreation/aquafish/qual_nitrocycle.html

The article specifies that you know the Cl- concentration in your water in order to calculate the amount you have to add. Very few of us keep track of that...

OK True, but I think it's reasonably safe to assume it is zero in most instances. The amount required to achieve 100ppm (100mg/l) Cl- in a 800L (200gl) tank is 100mg/L*800L*1/0.66 (0.66 is the mass percentage that Salt is of Cl-). This works out to about 14g, or one tablespoon. Aquarium salt is typically added in dosages of 40X this much. The reason that article suggests you calculate it that way is they are talking about millions of gallons. A few extra Tonnes of salt is a big added cost, so taking the existing Cl- into account is important.
from a site for which the forum rules do not allow me post a URL- sorry.

But you should be able to calculate how much salt to add for a tank your size.  However, 1st you must know the ppm of nitrite in your tank. As you want at least 6 times the ppm of salt as there is nitrite. You will need a test kit for this or have a really savvy stores to help. The common nitrite kits for the hobby do not read high enough and often a diluted test is needed. Use the above formula and change the 800L to the L for your tank. Also 1 mg/L = 1 ppm.

A second possibility is to turn to Prime by SeaChem or Amquel+ by Kordon, both are dechlors which also supposedly detoxify nitrite and nitrate. These will also slow down your cycling, but will likely let it complete very slowly with the fish staying alive.

No matter what, you must take immediate action to help the fish. The 1st and fastest is to change 75% of the water and then decide whether you want to do the salt addition or the chemical alternative. Do not do both at the same time unless you try one of the chemicals and it doesn't appear to do the trick. Then try the salt, or vice versa. Do not wait after the water change to either begin to add salt or to purchase one of the two products.

A third possibility is to find either Tetra Safe Start or Dr Tim's One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria and add them to your tank ASAP. These are live nitrifying bacteria which will go to work pretty fast fixing your problem. If you choose this route, Do Not Add An Overdose of the two mentioned dechlors. They will work against the bacteria being added. The amount of salt you might also want to use should not be sufficient to effect the nitrifying bacteria. It is important that you do the big water change of 75% before you add a bacterial supplement as high ammonia or nitrite levels can kill them. You can also try to borrow cycled media from local stores or fish keepers, but this will be less reliable in terms of knowing what you are getting compared the the two bottled products. Cycled media may be difficult to find fast.

One last observation, salt is not wanted long term in fresh water tanks. The only way salt is removed from a tank is via water changes.

Most reactions

Back