Aquarium Lighting Concern

I shouldn't worry 'bout a fishless cycle. Planted tanks are different.

To be honest I'm thinking of doing a fishless cycle anyway. Not that I'm ignoring your advice but there seems to be so much pain surrounding the process (judging from some of the threads I've read elsewhere) that I just have to experience it! My wife has now got involved in choosing the plants for the aquarium and the time to research could match up nicely with that to complete the cycle (if I'm lucky). Anyway, I won't say that you didn't warn me!

There's a lot of hyperbole about fish care, usually in attempt to get you to buy the latest 'snake oil'.

Well, this certainly seems to be the case in most markets - the problem as a novice is recognising hyperbole and trying to adopt a reasonable, informed perspective when one is anything but. That is why it's great, and much appreciated, to get advice from people like yourself. I've learnt a hell of a lot from lurking these forums for the last month or so!

-dan

Hi,

There's nothing wrong with doing a fishless cycle, so long as the tank isn't planted.
The fishless cycle is a good way to build up a filter so that it can be stocked straight away.
If it's planted, however, the plants will take up the ammonia before the filter and slow the cycling process down.
Then, once the filter is cycled and you plant, the plants will then take up a lot of the nitrogenous wastes and the filter bacteria colony will die back because there is less waste for it to process.

Most reactions

Back