Aquarium Lighting Concern

mangoed

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently bought a [Hagen] Fluval Vicenza 180 aquarium which I hoped would be suitable for someone new to the pastime/vocation of fishkeeping (that is, me).

As seemed prudent, I've been reading as much as I can about the various requirements and responsibilities of keeping tropical fish, both on these excellent forums and elsewhere.

I want to create a planted aquarium and have purchased 27.2kg (60lbs) of Eco-Complete to use as substrate, a 25W RENA COR heating cord, and a D-D Complete CO2 Set (actually this set came, not as described, but with a small submersible pump which I presume is used for dispersing the CO2 in the aquarium).

In short, I thought I was set to go but I am very concerned about the matter of lighting. By any measure I can find on the Internet, the aquarium seems to be supplied with lighting equipment which provides only a very low level of light! The aquarium canopy is fixed and specific to the particular model - the supplied bulbs are two 24W 55cm/22" Power-Glo fluorescents (T-5, High Output, 18000K, 900 lumens, 122 lux) with corresponding ballast and reflectors. All of this is built-in and apparently difficult to alter (apart from replacing the bulbs with others of identical form factor, obviously).

This is a 180l (47.6 US gallons) with a usable capacity of around 151l (39.9 US gallons) which will be further reduced by the quantity of substrate. It has external dimensions of 92x30-41x55cm (36.2x11.8-16.1x21.7") - the front is bowed, hence the two figures. This would give a rectangular surface area of approximately 3772cm2 (4 square feet) - actually this is the upper figure, assuming a rectangle instead of a curve.

Calculating the watts per gallon (WPG) gives 1.2 which, I believe, is low (very low?). Other measurements I've read about (concerning the lumens, lux and/or surface area) give even more frightening results. The bulbs are described as being "ideal for planted aquariums" but they seem to be having a laugh (or, at minimum, indulging in some kind of sales spin). I'm concerned about the plants that I'm going to be able to grow successfully in these conditions - I was going to order a collection from somewhere like Aquarium Gardening which won't be much good if I receive a bunch of unsuitable species.

As an aside, I can see why Hagen supply these particular bulbs because their other tubes would be too long (an 85cm/33.5" 39W or a 115cm/45.3" 54W). However, I wish the canopy could accommodate four of these bulbs!

I would really appreciate any advice (if you've got this far). Thanks.

-dan

Yep, you need to put this in the planted section.

However, does the area where your lights go have a reflective surface? If not cover the surface with aluminium foil or self adhesive aluminium/chrome tape this will increase the light reflected back into your tank.

also, plants like, java fern and moss, ambulia, watersprite, banana lilly, valesneria and elodea all do very well in low light as long as you add fertiliser :)

Hi,

Thanks for your replies, I've repeated the post here, as suggested.

The lights have white PVC reflectors which, hopefully, should act to redirect some of the brilliance back into the water. I've also noted the suggestions as to plant species suitable for low-light.

-dan

Thanks for your replies, I've repeated the post here, as suggested.
It's alright, you get of the hook cause your new :lol: Oh and Hi!

Most reactions

Back