Aquarium Filter Current

tseeko

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Recently I purchased a 5 gallon Aqua Tech fish tank. At the moment I have one shubunkin, one calic, one goldfish, and one black moor. The filter is recommended for a 5-10 gallon fish tank. Well, when I turn it on the filter generates this massive current at the top of the fish tank. When the fish try to swim across the shubunkin, calic and goldfish seem to have no problems but the black moor struggles. Once they reach the right side and then approach the middle again the current drags them back to the left. Let me add in there, all the fish are babies.

First off, I notice the black moor struggles a lot, will this stress the fish out or is it okay?

Second, is there any possible way to disburse the current into another direction? I would move the filter but the tank cover specifically has an area for the filter.
I've tried rearranging the decorations a little to help absorb some of the current but the fish still seem to get pushed everywhere.

I'm primarily concerned about the black moor because he seems to be a weaker swimmer then the others.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Here's a video of the current:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLtHL6G1aeE

Thank you

Can the direction of the filter output be changed to reduce the current?

When you say, "can the direction of the filter output be changed" are you saying that there might be a setting on the filter to change the output?
I have the Aqua Tech Power Tech 5 to 15 gallon filter.

Your tank is overstocked. To keep a goldfish you need about 30gallons for the first fish, then 20 gallons for every extra fish. You would b better of having a betta and some snails and shrimp or a betta and some corydoras

Your tank is overstocked. To keep a goldfish you need about 30gallons for the first fish, then 20 gallons for every extra fish. You would b better of having a betta and some snails and shrimp or a betta and some corydoras

That doesn't answer my question about the black moor and the filter current.

That doesn't answer my question about the black moor and the filter current.

No but its true. You are going to end up with some very unhappy goldfish or some very dead goldfish unless you move them to a suitable enviroment. Also the black moor is a fancy goldfish, and when kept with non fancys it may have its long ornate fins nipped, or be simply outcompeted for food.

But adressing your question, some filters have a moveable outlet so you can direct it against the back of the tank to help disperse the flow. If yours doesnt have a power adjuster you can always try that.

No but its true. You are going to end up with some very unhappy goldfish or some very dead goldfish unless you move them to a suitable enviroment. Also the black moor is a fancy goldfish, and when kept with non fancys it may have its long ornate fins nipped, or be simply outcompeted for food.

But adressing your question, some filters have a moveable outlet so you can direct it against the back of the tank to help disperse the flow. If yours doesnt have a power adjuster you can always try that.

Hmm.. you mean direct it against the back of the tank as in putting something in the way? The filter that came with the aquarium has the plug coming right out of it so I'm assuming the adapter is built inside.

Hmm.. you mean direct it against the back of the tank as in putting something in the way? The filter that came with the aquarium has the plug coming right out of it so I'm assuming the adapter is built inside.

Sure, you could try that. perhaps rigging up some cut up tights or something over the outlets may help kill the flow. Some people also make a filter killer out of a plastic bottle, as seen here http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=84710/ .

You seem to be concerned about the effect of the environment on your fish, which is good :) So please heed the advice about tank size above.
On the point of the flow, you can put a piece of sponge over the outlet to slow the flow. Because the tank is so small there will be fewer areas unaffected by the current. As the black moor's breeding means it isn't the strongest swimmer, having only the choice of fighting the current or staying in one place in the tank won't do it any good in the long term.

Most reactions

Back