Aquarium Brand Preference?

CrystalClear16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Do you have a preferance for a particular brand of aquarium? Do you believe some brands are better quality than others?

I can't fault my little 50L Fluval Light-Glo. It has served me well for the last 6years and I have never had any complaints. Now upgrading to a 125L and trying to decide between a Rio (which I hear is better quality) and a Roma (I prefer the cabinet).

Currently i have a Fluval 4ft tank, with an odd capacity of 220l, had it for 3 years and its perfect! i recently got a 2nd hand Juwel Rio 125, its also very good, however, around the top of the tank where the wooden trims are, my fish often splash when they come to the top for food and it leaks. It leaks as in water trickles down the outside of the glass but only when the fishes splash. I don't know if that even helps but thought i would let you know about my experience! Good luck choosing!

I love the Juwel rio tanks, I have 2 180l, 2 300l and 2 400l (although only 1 400l is running at present) it seems the leaking from around the plastic at the top is a common problem with them as all mine tend to get a slight condensation leak, its a pain, but just love the look of the tank.

I quite like the look of the Aqua One tanks. I have a teeny 28L AquaStart, have had no problems with the tank itself whatsoever. I think it's the slight bow front that i particularly like in their designs.

I just recently purchased a Tetra 55 gal aquarium kit. I'm really enjoying it so far and have had no problems at this point. I purchased an Aqua Culture tank stand as well...its a bit cheap but its serving its purpose and looks nice with my other furniture.

I am now on my third tank in 2 years all 3 are Juwel tanks.

The 1st was a Trigon 190 I brought it because it was a corner tank and when doing some research on tanks I found Juwel's had a good name plus the dark wood trim was a look that both the wife and I liked and you are all aware how important it is to keep the wife onside with this hobby.

I then upgraded to the Trigon 350 just because I wanted a bigger tank. As I got into the hobby I found myself becoming interested in Loaches and mainly Clown's.

As I learnt more about Clown Loach I discovered that they need length of tank to stretch there fins as well as taking into consideration there eventual size, the wife decreed that the living room needed decorating (a very large job) also she wanted a new sofa so when she brought up "you could get a new tank like the one you mentioned before" I jumped at the chance and I got a Juwel Vision 450.

I do not have any experience with any other manufacture but I feel lucky finding Juwel.

I love the look of Juwel Tanks always choosing the dark wood trim I really like the bow front tanks, I have always found Juwel tanks to be well built with really sturdy silicone seals. I like that with there cabinets you do not require a polystyrene bed for the tank to sit on.

The Cabinets are nothing special but they do the job, I must admit I did not like the look of the plastic feet the cabinets sit on they look quite inadequate to the job and i have always replaced them for solid wood feet.

The black filter box in the right hand corner.... Hmmm well My first 2 tanks I left them in and augmented them with an external canister filter. But with my latest the vision I took it out going for a dual external canister filter system and now that I have done it I am so pleased it just looks so much better IMO it also gives me a bit more room in the tank :good: another big plus.

I know there has been a mention on a leak at the top of some tanks from condensation but I have never had that problem :good:

I have kept my other 2 tanks (I have a plan :lol:) when we move in a couple of years out of our flat into a house I am going to go for the 6 footer at least! (lets hope Juwel come up with a bigger tank than the 450) for the loaches I fancy turning the vision 450 into a discus tank, the Trigon 350 into a Marine tank and the 190 well who knows :lol:.

I love Juwel and would recommend them to everyone I have not had one problem with them, but lets face it there is always going to be a small amount of tanks and equipment that will be manufactured with deficiency's I think that would be the case with every manufacturer the only emission I have is that I have no experience with any other make of tank.

I do like the look of some of the ND aquatics tanks and maybe that will be an option for the future.

Regards onebto.

For a good priced tank for what you get, I like Hagens Fluval Roma range, though they do have a habit of leaking when there is a large amount of condensation, but saying that, so does my Aqua One Regency, if anything, it leaks far worse and cost far more!!

I have some Clear Seal tanks which are hidden out of sight as they are awful looking tanks, I have an Aqua One Regency 120, a Fluval Duo Deep (250L) and an Aqua One 620T (which i hate!!)

If going for a large tank, i am liking the Seashell Oak Range you see in Maidenhead Aquatics, stunning bit of furniture... or the Aqua One Aquience range...

For small tanks, my two favourites at the moment are the Fluval Edge (Modified slightly to be fair...) and Aqua One 340 Pro (Its a stunning little 40L cube in black and a wet dry filter in the hood although hugely improved on their old style!)

Juwel tanks (got a rio 400, rio 300 and a trigon 350 currently) for me sturdy, like the cabinets better than other makes, the only annoying thing is the inbuilt filter, but I remove those and add externals. Fluval roma's Ive had condensation leak problems plus the lids are annoying to me, the cabinets arent very well made and the externals pack up and leak after a while, so you still have to replace them. Only had one aqua one tank, regency make I think it was, too flaming tall for me, but otherwise seemed a nice tank and came with a good external.

How are clearseal tanks awful looking?

They are just a tank. If you want some trim and a hood on it, make one, and make a matching stand.

They are cheap tanks which do the job.

However the plastic hoods they do are horrible.

Id have to say Fluval Roma tanks are probably the best. Working in an aquatics store you see what comes back faulty more often than others. The Fluval external filters are excellent. They only leak after a while because, like all canister filters, you have to change the rubber sealing ring. We still have people comming in ordering spares for 1/2/3/403's and 1/2/3/404's, aswell as the old style internal Plus range.
The only Fluval tanks that are dodgy are the elites. The hoods are crap. They were supposed to have fixed the problem, tho it was gotten better, we are still having to get them in for people.
The edges are very good, not had any problems with them.

Jewel tanks are ok, but they are NOTORIOUS for bad lighting strips. Its turning into a running joke at our place and we dont even stock them! They only last a couple of years and you need another. Some of you may disagree but we've had loads of people in with faulty Jewel light strips, faaaaaar more than others. And the built in filters aren't fab. We have to make sure we always have at least 1 in stock of all the sizes of Jewel pumps and heaters, because we get someone in at least once a week for one.

Aqua One tanks are very well made and a lot deeper front to back than most other tanks.

Interpet River Reefs are excellent tanks, especially the filters, though some have a few issues with the hoods.

I personally dont like Biorbs, but they're well made and run well if not fully stocked or with goldfish. Tho they have been having problems with the heaters at the moment ive noticed and we've had a couple of scratched orbs, they are usually very good.

Must admit, think it funi that most of you have said Jewel when its the first that springs to mind as a range with faults.

Edit: Oh, yes. And before you all notice, yes i have a jewel tank, no i didnt buy it, yes i ripped the filter out of it, and yes i did have to buy a new lighting strip for it, all eighty odd pounds of it and that was including staff discount!!

As I learnt more about Clown Loach I discovered that they need length of tank to stretch there fins as well as taking into consideration there eventual size,

Thanks for your input. I too have clown loaches and that is a good point you make regarding length. My plan at the moment is to upgrade the tank as they grow - hence getting the 125L!

Id have to say Fluval Roma tanks are probably the best. Working in an aquatics store you see what comes back faulty more often than others. The Fluval external filters are excellent. They only leak after a while because, like all canister filters, you have to change the rubber sealing ring. We still have people comming in ordering spares for 1/2/3/403's and 1/2/3/404's, aswell as the old style internal Plus range.

Thanks for the insight - particuarly into externals. We would like to replace the filter that comes with the new tank with an external one (primarily to free up space but also since filters are not the prettiest of features!).

By the sounds of things all the brands are pretty even - as long as you keep an eye on condensation!

Most reactions

Back