Aquaclear Power Filter Fix

Gazoo

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Today when cleaning a spare AquaClear mini I dropped the filter case and busted the corner. :crazy: It wasn't that bad so I knew I could fix it for less then I could replace it so I gave it a shot.

After collecting the five broken pieces I could find, I super glued them to the filter case. I then covered the exposed glued interior area with aquarium silicone since I didn't know if it was harmful to fish. After it dried, I filled the missing corner gap with silicone.

It only took a small amount of time to repair it so I'm glad I didn't spend $20+ on a new one especially since I needed it quick to set up a hospital tank for a sick betta. :sick:

RepairedAQmini.jpg

:good: with stuff being expensive as it is today for fishkeeping... gotta save a penny anywhere you can. Good Job :good:

I find after buying a Aquaclear 20 that there is a fair amount of bypass from the water moving from the intake side over directly into the bio bag.

Thinking of modifing it a little bit to help reduce this.

Good fix though! :good:

Nice fix! :good: Pvc pipe cement works well too, I saved an old AC 300 with some. It broke a chunk off diagonally from yours, bottom right corner, as well as a little spider web sort of crack on the bottom of the media case. Pvc cement is drinking water safe, dries really quick, but smells like the old fashoned model airplane glue when it's wet.

Looks good indeed. For the future, superglue (cyanoacrylate) is perfectly safe for fish. Us saltwater guys use it to glue corals straight to rocks. Its exceptionally convenient cause it dries underwater and doesnt harm organisms. One more fun-fact about super glue: the solvent in superglue, cyanoacrylate, is the same solvent used in "new skin" used by hospitals, doctors, bowlers, and others with skin abrasions that want to keep them clean. The guys in the ER dipped my thumb in super glue when I hit it with a dremmel tool and roughed it up good. A great non-toxic solvent glue :D

Most reactions

Back