Aqua One Tank Choice (opinions Needed) :/

klein

Reaction score
Hi all

I’m looking to replace my old 36x18x12 inch tank for a bigger one to create a planted community aquarium.

I have 2 small angels , 2 small loaches (khuli loach?) and one small plec (black with what looks like white/gold water ripples across its body).

I would like to go for an Aqua One Regency/Royal or Regal (not fussed which) and preferably the larger 300 litre models.

They look fab and a massive trawl of TFF reveals that many of you like them.

Sadly I just found out how much they cost and unless someone can tip me off a very very well priced web retailer I don’t have that sort of money.

So.......

I was looking at the Aqua One Euroview open top Aquarium which is available as a complete set with cabinet but is considerably less money. I like the adaptability of the open tank and that i can easily add the ehiem filter.

It is a similar tank to the Regency in that it has rounded front corners but is not enclosed in timber. Its an open tank with glass panels for a top. You also get a Aqua One cannister filter ( which I wont need as i bought an Eheim last week), a twin T5 light fitting that ‘hovers ‘ over the tank made out of curved aluminium. And a nice silver stand.

I can afford to buy it but I just wanted to float it past you guys incase you knew something I hadnt thought of.

PS please let me know if you have a particularly good web retalier that I can check out. I can get the whole package for £290 locally and £240 online. Is it a bad idea to buy a precious aquarium online? Or is it a recipe for disaster?

This tank will only be 204 litres as opposed to the 300 odd litres of the Aqua One Regency/Royal or Regal but i think it will be ok for a small community tank?

Any thoughts/comments greatfully recieved.

Regards

John

Any Aqua One lovers out there with an opinion to spare?

John

Hi John, i only have an Aqua one 65 litre which i just bought, and you are right they are expensive! i paid 188 for mine including tank and stand! i reall wish i went for a bigger one now though! :grr:

Hi mate-i have the aqua 620 tall-looks awesome but the filters arent up to much-best too install a fluval or similar.

I have the Aqua One 980 (215 litres) and I find the built in trickle filter to be excellent. Extremely simple to set up (base unit took a while to put together though) and am extremely pleased with it overall. I did notice that someone else on this site who is 65 years old had problems lifting the light unit off for cleaning purposes and as it is quite heavy and awkward for someone who is not very strong. Also if you don't have long arms it is quite deep so it can be hard to reach the bottom of the tank. Personally, I would recommend this size and model :good:

Many thanks for the replies lads.

Aqua One sound ok.

May venture in to town at the weekend and have a closer look at the Aqua One Euroview (204L)

regards

John

I have the Aqua One 980 (215 litres) and I find the built in trickle filter to be excellent. Extremely simple to set up (base unit took a while to put together though) and am extremely pleased with it overall. I did notice that someone else on this site who is 65 years old had problems lifting the light unit off for cleaning purposes and as it is quite heavy and awkward for someone who is not very strong. Also if you don't have long arms it is quite deep so it can be hard to reach the bottom of the tank. Personally, I would recommend this size and model :good:
Oi! 64 if you don't mind. :lol:

Hi,

I had an earlier AquaOne model that cracked. As they dont make the model I had any more, AquaOne replaced it with a 60cm Euroview (Well I think thats the model !). The earlier model was a 'strange' shape, being lower at the front than the back and was designed to show off plants growing above the waterline.

I currently have it setup as a high-tech planted tank and have had no problems with it. As I only got a replacement tank, the lighting and filter are not AquaOne.

Whilst AquaOne are seen more as the budget end of the market, I've certainly got no complaints with the tank. I have seen their covered tanks and dont really like the plastic lid or light fitting, but the open top tanks are fine.

I also have 3 AquaOne nano tanks that my LFS were selling for less than £9.00 each.
Great if you want to try a budget planted nano.

The '60cm' & 'Nano' pics on this link are all AquaOne tanks Mr G's Planted Tanks

Cheers
Al

i am looking at getting a new tank and have already asked several questions but after what piltdownpaul said about the filter in the 620 not being great i wondered about getting the slightly smaller 510, any comments or suggestions on this tank?

Hi all
I had a Aqua one regal 100 for about 4 weeks its gone back,very noisy filter, if you add any lights outer than the ones supplied the hood bows, make sure you ask all the right questions when you buy one ,if you look on Aqua one web site you will see that they recomend 1W of light per ltr yet supply a tank with 210lts with 60w of light ?? I know its wrong , but have a look, you will need more light than standard so make sure you ask the right questions

Hi all
I had a Aqua one regal 100 for about 4 weeks its gone back,very noisy filter, if you add any lights outer than the ones supplied the hood bows, make sure you ask all the right questions when you buy one ,if you look on Aqua one web site you will see that they recomend 1W of light per ltr yet supply a tank with 210lts with 60w of light ?? I know its wrong , but have a look, you will need more light than standard so make sure you ask the right questions

Peter-peckers comments about checking lighting and asking questions is good advice and should certainly not only apply to AquaOne tanks, but all tanks supplied with a hood as standard.

The low level of lighting supplied as standard applies equally to most other tanks that come with hoods (juwel / Tropiquarium / Clearseal etc ). If you are looking at establishing a planted tank, you dont really want anything with less than 2 watts per gallon, more if you can get it !
These days I automatically assume that if the tank comes with a standard hood (no modified lighting) then it doesnt come with enough light to use as a planted tank !

The only Aqua One tank I have is a 60cm (approx 18 gallon) AquaOne 'open top' tank, but have a total of 72 watts of T5 lighting above it (4 watts per gallon).
Plants, fish and shrimp are thriving ! Of course you need the extras, like additional CO2 and fertilisation for this to work.

I only have the tank and no Aquaone filter or Aquaone hood/lights, so I cant really make any comment about them, however Aquaone are quite cheap, so I expect you get what you pay for !!

Most reactions

Back