Aqua One Eurostyle Tang Tank

ardandy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Got a new and bigger tank, the Aqua One Eurostyle 80 (185 litres), and decided to go for something a little more interesting than standard Tropical fish from your LFS! Anyway after a trip to MikesRifts on Saturday I came back with these fellas! Over £200 just on the fish, £300 on the tank itself, around £50 on water treatment stuff (PH etc), £100 on rock and sand and who knows what else.

Youtube video for those who just want fishes!;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13iSKJ4JUsY
YouTube Clicky

Here's my past 6 weeks in fishdom planning, setting up and doseing the water to suit Tanganyika Cichlids. They need Lake Salt, Cichlid Trace Elements and more crucially a PH of well above 8.0. My tank is around PH-8.4.

Setting it up;
AquaOne-01.JPG

AquaOne-02.JPG

In situe;

AquaOne-03.JPG

Now rather than a 3D background internally which I like the look of I didn't want to use up any space so I went for just a black background. Rather than use the really shiny glossy aquairum backgrounds you can get I just bought some thick black matt cardboard from my local arts & crafts shop.

AquaOne-04.JPG

Background in place;

AquaOne-05.JPG

For the rock I decided on using Ocean Rock as I have a relatively local supplier that has a huge choice for me to choose from. First they needed a bit of a clean. I also soaked them in boiling water afterwards to make sure no nasties entered the tank.

AquaOne-06.JPG

AquaOne-07.JPG

Now having fun stacking the rocks! I used polystyrene underneath to spread the wait out a little and protect the glass. Rocks before substrate!

AquaOne-08.JPG

AquaOne-09.JPG

Now the sand goes in.

I chose (mainly for aesthetics) Caribsea Black Tahitian Moon Sand. Not cheap as Argos Play sand but looks really good and slightly bigger grains mean I don't hoover up half as much as standard play sand. No water at this point.

AquaOne-10.JPG

Now I put the water in.

The tank has 2 external filters, one new and one that I used with my old tank. This helped the tank cycle very quickly. For the next month I had my old tetras/guppies in to help this process. These are now gone.

AquaOne-11.JPG

Here's the stocklist. Unfortunately I've not got a pic of the catfish yet as they've not come out of the rock for long enough. You can see them on the youtube vid though.

4x Neolamprologus Leleupi
6x Lamprologus Ornatipinnis
4x Cyprichromis Leptosoma Mpulungu
4x Julidochromis Dickfeldi
2x Callochromis Pleurospilus Kigoma
2x Synodontis Lucipinnis Catfish

The fish up close:

Cyprichromis Leptosoma Mpulungu; (Bigger one to the right, yellow tail)

Cyprichromis Leptosoma Mpulungu - 01.JPG

Julidochromis Dickfeldi - Rock Dwellers;

Julidochromis Dickfeldi - 01.JPG

Lamprologus Ornatipinnis - Shell Dwellers;

Lamprologus Ornatipinnis - 01.JPG

Neolamprologus Leleupi - Rock Dwellers;

Neolamprologus Leleupi - 01.JPG

Callochromis Pleurospilus Kigoma - Sand Sifters;

Callochromis Pleurospilus Kigoma - 01.JPG

It's not cheap but they're great to watch. The behaviour is a lot more interesting than your average Tropical Fish.

Very nice thread and what a great tank, nice Tangs in there, well done :good: The pics. are nice, had the same Cyps from Mike and they consantly had a mouthfull, great fish, I was going to order some Callochromis Pleurospilus (Kigoma) from him but got distracted and went for a different type set up, yours look great, be nice to see how they get on, the Leleupi I have seen from him are more sort of orange so congrats on picking a nice bright yellow one, the Dickfeldi look happy, had them in the past, great Julie, the Ornats look like the Kungweensis I have although yours have yellow heads and mine have blue, all looking good, sorry for going on, just drooling :drool: :hyper:
Cheers, Sean :good:

So you've had them breed?

The Cyps I got started bredding after I had them a few weeks, worked out at 4M/8F ratio, they constantly had mouthfulls, it was cool :good:

I really wanted the callochromis but would have to have dedicated nearly all the footprint of the 4' to a small group, was unsure of tank mates, they look stunning though :good:

Nice fish. Will be interesting to see how you go on as it seems cramped to me for all of them. You may want to look at using bicarb of soda for your ph as its costs little. cheers

I picked the fish but mikerift (breeder/expert) chose the types and stocking levels for me.

Nice setup and a good choice with the Tangs :good: :good:

One thing I would say though is that the Tangs don`t 'need' any of the Lake Salt, Cichlid Trace Elements and more crucially a PH of well above 8.0. Tangs are able to fully thrive in a ph of between 7.8 and 8.4 very successfully.

What`s your ph before adding anything to the water? :unsure:

7.2 out of the tap. It did go to 7.4 in the tank though, I'm guessing due to the Ocean Rock?

fish look gorgeous! as said it seems a little overstocked to me but if theyre getting on fine then its all cool :)

I'd love a trip to mikes rifts but hes 240 miles away up the other end of the country! wouldn't want to treck up there and spend 200 quid on fish only to get stuck in M25 dartford crossing traffic for hours on the way home!

fish look gorgeous! as said it seems a little overstocked to me but if theyre getting on fine then its all cool :)

I'd love a trip to mikes rifts but hes 240 miles away up the other end of the country! wouldn't want to treck up there and spend 200 quid on fish only to get stuck in M25 dartford crossing traffic for hours on the way home!

He packs them in the same way he would if he was posting them (minus heat packs/some packaging) so they're good for 24 hours. Even put pure O2 in the bags.

yeah just been reading through his website in my lunchbreak, and making a mental fish wish list, good to know about the packing, I'm planning on a major tank upgrade this autumn (birthday treat :) ) from 29g to 90g so I may have to have a road trip!

yeah just been reading through his website in my lunchbreak, and making a mental fish wish list, good to know about the packing, I'm planning on a major tank upgrade this autumn (birthday treat :) ) from 29g to 90g so I may have to have a road trip!

If you keep your eyes open on the websit he sometimes does delivery runs so might be nearer your area :good: He might be heading up to Scotland in the next few weeks so yime to get some "pocket money" saved :lol:
Cheers, Sean :good:

Most reactions

Back