Aqua Art 60 Litre....filter Question!

debbie888

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

Although not new to the hobby...thought I would ask this in here.

I have a tetra aqua art 60 litre tank...has been running for 6 months now....how often do you change the filter?...I obviously rinse the filter out now and then in the water I have taken out when doing a water change. When changing the filter over...do I run the new and old filter side by side...?

Sorry sounds like a noob question...but ya know what they say...if ya don't ask...ya don't get? :)

Debbie

Never change the filter :good: The sponges don't need replacing, unless they are completely falling apart :nod: If there are any media cartriges that the manufacturer claims to need replacing, remove them and replace them with sponge, to get arround the need to replace them. So long as you never replace more than 1/3 of your media in one go, you will be perfectly fine :nod: I'd also cut the sponge in half if it is in one piece, and only clean 1/2 at a time :good: When the sponge does eventually colapse, replace it with any brand, again, no more than 1/3 of the total media in the filter in one go, and replace the next section in about 2-3 weeks. If the sponges are falling apart already, they are poor quality and there is all the more reason to go with a different brand of sponge :good:

HTH
Rabbut

Hi

I have a tetra aqua art 60 litre tank...has been running for 6 months now....how often do you change the filter?...I obviously rinse the filter out now and then in the water I have taken out when doing a water change. When changing the filter over...do I run the new and old filter side by side...?

Sorry sounds like a noob question...but ya know what they say...if ya don't ask...ya don't get? :)

Debbie

Hi, do you mean the green/white/carbon insert thing when you mean change the filter?

I have also used the same filtration system and rarely change it as I just rinse the insert out in old tank water at the regular water change. However if you want to change it there are also 'bio balls' (I think they call them) at the base of the filter compartment which should hold a good sized bacteria colony so you in theory should be able to just take the insert out and replace with a new one without having THAT much effect on the filter efficiency. But by removing the insert you are still taking away a proportion of the good bacteria so in that case I would reduce feeding and keep a close eye on water values for several days after the change, to allow the bacteria to 'catch up'.

Hope that helps! :)

Never change the filter :good: The sponges don't need replacing, unless they are completely falling apart :nod: If there are any media cartriges that the manufacturer claims to need replacing, remove them and replace them with sponge, to get arround the need to replace them. So long as you never replace more than 1/3 of your media in one go, you will be perfectly fine :nod: I'd also cut the sponge in half if it is in one piece, and only clean 1/2 at a time :good: When the sponge does eventually colapse, replace it with any brand, again, no more than 1/3 of the total media in the filter in one go, and replace the next section in about 2-3 weeks. If the sponges are falling apart already, they are poor quality and there is all the more reason to go with a different brand of sponge :good:

HTH
Rabbut

Yep that helps a lot thank you....they are filter cartridges...rather thank sponge!

Thanks for the expert answer...very helpful indeed.

Debbie

Hi

Debbie

Hi, do you mean the green/white/carbon insert thing when you mean change the filter?

I have also used the same filtration system and rarely change it as I just rinse the insert out in old tank water at the regular water change. However if you want to change it there are also 'bio balls' (I think they call them) at the base of the filter compartment which should hold a good sized bacteria colony so you in theory should be able to just take the insert out and replace with a new one without having THAT much effect on the filter efficiency. But by removing the insert you are still taking away a proportion of the good bacteria so in that case I would reduce feeding and keep a close eye on water values for several days after the change, to allow the bacteria to 'catch up'.

Hope that helps! :)

Hi

Yep that is what I mean...the green/white/carbon insert....it doesnt need changing as it is good condition...but wanted to know if it would need replacing sometime in the future...but in your answer with reference to the 'bioballs'...you explain that they hold a good size of bacteria, so if I ever need to change the insert...I could and would follow the advice you kindly pointed out.

Thanks for your help...much appreciated.

Debbie

Most reactions

Back