Apple Snails

dulce

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
OK i think this is probably a really blonde question but had to ask..when you get apple snails which are pink/purple/blue are they bred with someform of dye?? i know it sounded stupid but just looked it up and the wild ones are brown, i can understand how golden could be sort of derivedt from albino and 'caramel' a particularly attractive lighter brown sort of thing but how did they get to pink and blue??? :/

As far as I know all colour variations of apple snails can be found in the wild.
the so called "blue" apple snail is in fact black but has a translucent shell thus giving it a blue colour when seen by the human eye.
the best info on apple snails can be found at www.applesnail.net

HTH

thanks wolf, i went to aylesford aquatics.. very cool shop, gotta love the seahorses there, they are so amazing could watch them for hours ! :)

Actually Wolf, they can't be found. They are colour variations bred from wild ones just like Crystal Red and Red Cherry shrimps are from their wild form. Or bettas.

There's alot of colour forms and some of them are really new, red-white for example. I have 11 different colours and I am trying to get that red-white, but it's going to be alot of work to dig up that colour and get a strong strain of it.

I know some people are skeptic because of the dyed fish, but for example the colour variations of my apple snails are as artificial as wuv's bettas colours :D Here's the best information of the colours: Donya Quick's Apple Snail research.

Here's some of my babies:
babypile.jpg

thanks Rain- I stand, erm sit, corrected :D
good to see you are still here :thumbs:

:D

I peek once in a while, but looks like life is running me around too much to concentrate on many things at the same time and I've been neglecting TFF :/

You know, apple snails are interesting little fellas. The males can actually change sex in some circumstances and be fertile after that.

Wow rain they are SO pretty ! do you ship to the uk ?

The companyies over here that i can find only sell 1cm big ones and i dont think i would want them shipped being so tiny ? do you sell them any bigger ??
plus they are stronger strains of colour than i have seen!
thanks

sorry just read yr answer PROPERLY, will have a look on those sites to see if they sell biggish ones !
I got my first pair yesterday (sold as breeding pair) so i have done the water changes and made them a veg feast so fingers crossed ! she was messing around at the surface last night! and i also got 4 x 3cm caramel they are so pretty too !
thank you !

didnt know malaysian trumpet snails were something people bought, the little buggers got in my tank without me doing anything ! (i presume they came in on plants !!)

Most reactions

Back