Apple Snails

GlosGraham

Reaction score
Just as you do... I was browsing the web looking for a new pleco but I stumbled upon Apple Snails being sold.

I loved these little guys but to my knowledge they were banned in the UK due to native wildlife risks etc.

Are they still banned?

I also saw they were advertising fish that have been dyed which I also thought was illegal in the UK. I'm not bothered by this as I would never buy them anyway.

Just as you do... I was browsing the web looking for a new pleco but I stumbled upon Apple Snails being sold.

I loved these little guys but to my knowledge they were banned in the UK due to native wildlife risks etc.

Are they still banned?
As far as I know...yes.
I also saw they were advertising fish that have been dyed which I also thought was illegal in the UK. I'm not bothered by this as I would never buy them anyway.
Was this an eBay shop, perchance?

Nope.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211009-225938.png
    Screenshot_20211009-225938.png
    130 KB · Views: 32
No they were unbanned in the UK a few months ago as they are not considred a danger to our ecosystems - they won't survive the winter.

Edit - they are still banned in Northern Ireland though as they could end up in the Republic of Ireland which is still in the EU.

Note for US members - in the UK we never used the term mystery snail, we call them apple snails. All the species of Pomacea are called apple snails here ;)

Most reactions

Back