Apparatus help for 55 gallon

gwand

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I am planning to build a 55 gallon tank for west African Cichlids. Any suggestions for a HOB filter and heater?

I do both Aquaclear & Tidals... & I like to use 2 filters as well, & stagger my cleaning of them... one on each side of the back, or at the top of both the ends... I do Aquaclear 70's & Tidal 75'S

heaters I've got several, & not one clear winner. I like the AQQA heaters ( as far as function ), but I don't like the blaze orange plastic they use on the center of the heating element, as I try to hide the hardware as best I can...

Th
I'm sold to Aquaclear... So 2 x AC50 or 1 x AC110 + A good large air powered sponge.

For the heater a Eheim Jager 150W.
Thanks. Is the sponge to supplement the HOB or to help oxygenate or both?

Th
I'm sold to Aquaclear... So 2 x AC50 or 1 x AC110 + A good large air powered sponge.

For the heater a Eheim Jager 150W.

Could be both. I have one as a backup. It's hooked up to an air pump with a battery backup. So even if I lose power, my tanks don't go without filtration or aeration.
Thanks. Any recommendations for 55 gallon glass tank? My 20 gallon glass tank is in Aqueon. So far so good since completing the build.

I am planning to build a 55 gallon tank for west African Cichlids. Any suggestions for a HOB filter and heater?
Hello. I use the Fluval HOB and Eheim heaters on the government tank I'm taking care of right now. Both are reasonably priced, good quality and have worked well for me so far.

Th

I Mostly use them to effectively break the surface and prevent any film from building, it provides a good supplemental aeration... And a really effective way to bring the proteins layer off the surface.

With time I realized that. In the long therm when used with adequate air pump and larger sponges they become great areas of really slow moving water, beneficial to the multiplication of nitrates converting bacteria... Instead of using an air stone to disturb the surface "alone"

But... Yes they make the surface sparkling and mess up the lid that one have to clean more often... But the gazes exchanges are really always maximized.

You get doubled reward from "nearly" the same maintenance as an air stone. And a backup filter.

Disclaimer - I do freelance work for Fluval.

But I have had Aqua-Clears run for 17 years before they died. The new ones are not that quality, but they are still very good. I'd expect 10 years from them. I have yet to see a Tidal in a store here, so I can't evaluate that.
Marinelands, if they are still around, were on par with the cheap Chinese ones.

If you go mbuna, they eat a lot of plant matter, and herbivores do poop. I'm another one who doubles filters so if one needs cleaning or is down, there's another option. Plus you can move one to the tank you get after this one, for a head start!

I am fiercely loyal to the sponges that come as media in AQs. I run some cheapo Chinese no name HOBs, but their media is Japanese filter matting below, and AQ sponges on top. They are excellent for both mechanical and biological filtration. Plus, they last. That which doesn't need replacement slows down our landfill use.

Disclaimer - I do freelance work for Fluval.

But I have had Aqua-Clears run for 17 years before they died. The new ones are not that quality, but they are still very good. I'd expect 10 years from them. I have yet to see a Tidal in a store here, so I can't evaluate that.
Marinelands, if they are still around, were on par with the cheap Chinese ones.

If you go mbuna, they eat a lot of plant matter, and herbivores do poop. I'm another one who doubles filters so if one needs cleaning or is down, there's another option. Plus you can move one to the tank you get after this one, for a head start!

I am fiercely loyal to the sponges that come as media in AQs. I run some cheapo Chinese no name HOBs, but their media is Japanese filter matting below, and AQ sponges on top. They are excellent for both mechanical and biological filtration. Plus, they last. That which doesn't need replacement slows down our landfill use.
Great tips. Is AQ a brand of sponge?

The media inside an Aquaclear (AQ) box includes a quality sponge for filtration. I'm lazy. oops.

Most reactions

Back