Apisto’s meeting the neighbors

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Not very yellow fob, but no immediate concerns with the Cupids, the Acaras, or the angels
IMG_6164.png
IMG_6166.jpeg
IMG_6169.png

Last edited:
Yes, acaras are amazing so far, but their spawn site got messed up removing the earth eater… do they like flat rocks??? I have a small piece of slate i thought about sliding in under the big driftwood in the back corner, if I thought they would use it…

I honestly think these electric blue acaras are crossed with something not in the Cichlid family, as they have none of the typical behaviors

The last picture posted above, 2 of the Acaras checking out the boldest apisto

The male… starting to show a little yellow on his fins, found one of the females… under the watchful eyes of one of the Cupids… the other, smallest female has found a small cave in the big rocks by the bubble waterfall
IMG_6175.png

They have only been out of the bag, for about 20 minutes, so I expect he’ll color up a bunch yet

All 3 apisto’s have found each other, and seem to like the area under the driftwood, I thought the Acaras would want, but no one has the cave yet, now that the earth eater is gone
IMG_6179.jpeg

Either nijjensi or panduro would be my guess though i suppose if young enough inka - people should stop using genus name to describe a fish ;)
-
good luck.

Sorry, was kind of a continuation of the cat herding thread, where I linked these, as coming today…

You do know that Dan should not be sending these as trio; as they are not polygamous and will form pairs (becoming extremely) aggressive towards the third wheel. The only reason to buy a 2nd female is in case one female is a snob and decide the male is not acceptable mate.

Of course this ignores the issue of being in a community aquarium with much larger fishes but we will pretend that is not the case.

Didn’t buy them to breed… although I think that happens a lot, these were aquarium bred, so all being the same age, very likely are siblings… I don’t breed any of my farm animals as siblings, I don’t know why people would fish) no wonder there are a lot of runts and “elephant man” fish… when I was trying to start a good cherry shrimp colony, I bought 2 starter colonies, one each from different sellers, no where close, hoping for a more diverse gene pool… I now have a 10 gallon tank full of cherry shrimp, with blazing red color, no color wash out… these were bought for a community tank, and only available as a trio…I’m a couple years from retirement, and hopefully having more free time… if I were going to start breeding fish, I would not be trying to use siblings… so I’m intentionally crowding the tanks to try to keep them from breeding, in most of my tanks

Last edited:
Didn’t buy them to breed… although I think that happens a lot, these were aquarium bred, so all being the same age, very likely are siblings… I don’t breed any of my farm animals as siblings, I don’t know why people would fish) no wonder there are a lot of runts and “elephant man” fish… when I was trying to start a good cherry shrimp colony, I bought 2 starter colonies, one each from different sellers, no where close, hoping for a more diverse gene pool… I now have a 10 gallon tank full of cherry shrimp, with blazing red color, no color wash out… these were bought for a community tank… I’m a couple years from retirement, and hopefully having more free time… if I were going to start breeding fish, I would not be trying to use siblings
In that case i would recommend just keeping the male and removing the females; it will reduce aggression and make everyone happier.

I may, if I need to in the future currently the Cichlids were all peaceful, except the earth eaters, which I had no control on, I didn’t order them.

The male gets right in there with the bigger fish
IMG_6191.png

I’m hoping for a tank with lots of fish, that don’t seem to belong… Sid ( the biggest Giant Oto ), gets along fine, with the lil Zebra Oto’s, which I’m surprised the bigger Cichlids don’t try to eat, yet they swim around freely
IMG_6193.png

Most reactions

Back