Api Stress Zyme

I'm sure this product has some sort of ammonia remover anyways (maybe another I'm thinking of) so basically if you only had a trace reading of ammonia the product itself has probably removed it rather than the claimed 'live' bacteria.

have a read of the bottle im sure ive read it on there at some point :unsure:
I am not sure if that would make sense.
If they could remove Ammonia without it registering on the test kit then why would they not use that in their very own AMMO LOCK product which instead of not showing, neutralizes it but still reads on the test kit and creates some funky results?

I'm sure this product has some sort of ammonia remover anyways (maybe another I'm thinking of) so basically if you only had a trace reading of ammonia the product itself has probably removed it rather than the claimed 'live' bacteria.

have a read of the bottle im sure ive read it on there at some point :unsure:
I am not sure if that would make sense.
If they could remove Ammonia without it registering on the test kit then why would they not use that in their very own AMMO LOCK product which instead of not showing, neutralizes it but still reads on the test kit and creates some funky results?

I didn't say that it would remove huge amounts of ammonia but maybe a trace element, alot of products..IE dechols etc remove ammonia, even though the same company provide a purpose made product for it, im sure prime also claims it removes ammonia.

If the bacteria had removed the ammonia from your tank then that bacteria would be there to keep that amount of ammonia away the next time, so by simple reasoning the product removed the ammonia not the so call bacteria. If the bacteria had removed it then no more ammonia even a trace amount should have been there.

Have you thought that the food may have caused the ammonia, a reading of .25 in an established tank wouldnt take long to get removed anyways so it could well of been just pure luck that when you tested the water the actual tank bacteria had removed that tiny amount of ammonia by it self without any form of help from the stresszyme.

I didn't say that it would remove huge amounts of ammonia but maybe a trace element, alot of products..IE dechols etc etc that remove ammonia even though the same company provide a purpose made product for it, im sure prime also claims it removes ammonia.

If the bacteria had removed the ammonia from your tank then that bacteria would be there to keep that amount of ammonia away the next time, so by simple reasoning the product removed the ammonia not the so call bacteria. If the bacteria had removed it then no more ammonia even a trace amount should have been there.

Have you thought that the food may have caused the ammonia, a reading of .25 in an established tank wouldnt take long to get removed anyways so it could well of been just pure luck that when you tested the water the actual tank bacteria had removed that tiny amount of ammonia by it self without any form of help from the stresszyme.
You can't remove ammonia from the water, unless you do a water change. Either ammonia is converted into a "safe" form or it is processed into nitrite. Water conditioners that claim they remove ammonia, don't actually remove it. All they do is convert ammonia into ammonium. Ammonium is not harmful to fish, but it is still readable on our test kits as ammonia.

If the stress zyme did work, making a reading of zero for ammonia, then the existing ammonia had to of been converted into nitrite, via the bacteria. If it was not, then it would of been still in the ammonia form or in the ammonium form, either of which would of read on the test kit as ammonia.

Once again this is not true. If the ammonia was converted into a safer form (ammonium) it would still be readable as ammonia on his test kit, regardless!

Since the Autotrophic bacteria did process the ammonia, because of the 0 ppm reading, the test kit would/did read 0 ppm. Out test kits are only so accurate and when they read 0ppm, there are still traces of what ever was being tested.

-FHM

I used the api stresszyme it did nothing for cycling

Someone really needs to do a controlled experiment with stress zyme, so people will know for sure it will or will not work.

-FHM

Yes i know there is always a trace element of ammonia in the tank, maybe not worded correctly but i ment trace reading from the yellow on the test kit, either way if the ammonia was processed by the 'tank bacteria' then it still would read 0, the nitrite it would have produce would be equally tiny as the ammonia reading and therefore stil have been process by the 'tank bacteria'.

As far as im aware ammonium is still dangerous to fish, just not anywhere near as actual ammonia. if i wrong please correct me, if im even the slightest on the right track it might be an idea to state that it still wouldn't be acceptable to have ammonium in the tank.

i wasn't aware a test kit would read ammonium the same as it would read ammonia so ive learnt something there lol.

End result is that i can see is, if the ammonia was removed from the .25 to 0 as mentioned, then in theory the ammonia shouldn't have come back if the bacteria in a bottle stresszyme worked, yes?

The whole point to what i was trying to say is there is other factors why the ammonia reading was no more, rather than just ultimately presuming that the stresszyme worked.

Yes i know there is always a trace element of ammonia in the tank, maybe not worded correctly but i ment trace reading from the yellow on the test kit, either way if the ammonia was processed by the 'tank bacteria' then it still would read 0, the nitrite it would have produce would be equally tiny as the ammonia reading and therefore stil have been process by the 'tank bacteria'.

As far as im aware ammonium is still dangerous to fish, just not anywhere near as actual ammonia. if i wrong please correct me, if im even the slightest on the right track it might be an idea to state that it still wouldn't be acceptable to have ammonium in the tank.

i wasn't aware a test kit would read ammonium the same as it would read ammonia so ive learnt something there lol.

End result is that i can see is, if the ammonia was removed from the .25 to 0 as mentioned, then in theory the ammonia shouldn't have come back if the bacteria in a bottle stresszyme worked, yes?

The whole point to what i was trying to say is there is other factors why the ammonia reading was no more, rather than just ultimately presuming that the stresszyme worked.
Like I said in a previous post, there really is not way to prove, like you just stated, that it worked. Would the ammonia level of dropped to zero anyway if he did not add stress zyme? No one knows now? So this really does not prove that is works, but all fingers are pointing to it does, IN THIS CASE. However, I still do not believe this product will cycle a tank at all.

Ammonium, I believe is still harmful to fish, but in way larger quantities. And yes, ammonium will register on our test kits as ammonia.

Only time can tell on this one. He has to monitor the ammonia level and watch and see if it comes back or not.

And for every 1 ppm of ammonia = 2.7 ppm of nitrite = 3.6 ppm of nitrate. So, 1 ppm of ammoina = 3.6 ppm of nitrate.

-FHM

I used stress zyme for a long time before I learned about the cycle, etc. Though some of my fish survived for 5 - 6 years using it after water changes, most died early due to HIH or other unknown causes. I'm not using it anymore and my tank is healthier than ever. It is also kind of expensive to use on a 75G tank. Just my 2 cents...

I wuld have to see proof before I could accept that it works. I used to use it hoping that it woould do something, but my cycle times were the same as if I hadn't used it at all.

Stress Zyme does not contain nitrifying bacteria, which do indeed need oxygen, food etc to survive in a bottle. It contains other strains of heterotrophic bacteria, which support the rapid growth of nitrifying bacteria in the filter material by consuming organic matter, which otherwise reduces the surface space and oxygen levels within the pores of the filter material. The bottles have an expiration date, and the levels of live bacteria are guaranteed within that date (although you should not allow it to freeze or get extremely hot). As far as I know, it doesn't contain an ammonia detoxifier.

I have a small amount of publicity information on its activity, but it is at quite a simple level and probably not of great interest to posters here.

Not surprising is it? It is not for cycling a tank... :rolleyes:

It a a waste control product, the bacteria in it are held in a suspended state so they need very little food or oxygen. Technology have moved on a lot since Bio-Spira first came out!

The species awake and eat uneaten food and dead organic material (poo, plant material, sludge in your filter, etc.) in the tank so ammonia is reduced, the gravel gets cleaner and other competitive bacteria levels are kept way down by starving them. So your fish are healthier due to the lack of bad bacteria.

It also reduces aquarium maintenance. But don't expect it to work over night. Give it 2 months.

This method of aquarium husbandry is called Competitive exclusion.

Works too.

I dose all my non-Walstad tanks with the stuff.

It a a waste control product, the bacteria in it are held in a suspended state so they need very little food or oxygen. Technology have moved on a lot since Bio-Spira first came out!

The species awake and eat uneaten food and dead organic material (poo, plant material, sludge in your filter, etc.) in the tank so ammonia is reduced, the gravel gets cleaner and other competitive bacteria levels are kept way down by starving them. So your fish are healthier due to the lack of bad bacteria.

Uhh, I'll stick to waterchanges, thanks.

Most reactions

Back