Anyone Use Python No Spill

Burrell1662

Reaction score
I am fed up with all the bucket carrying I have to do for a water change. I've seen the Python No Spill advertised but have a few concerns:-

1. How is the tap water dechlorinated when it pumps into the tank?
2. What about temperature - obviously the water from the tap will be colder than the water in the tank. How will the fish cope with this?

Another newbie question:-

3. When conducting a water change do I have to let the water stand for 24hrs after treating it. The bloke in my LFS said I did but reading these forums that doesn't seem to be the case. Also, I am thinking of upgrading to a bigger tank and don't have room to stand loads of buckets!

Thanks - I've learned so much from these forums and I think it's great that all you experts out there can spare the time to help us newbies :wub:

You don't need to leave your water standing for 24 hours before adding it in. If you have no dechlorinator or you are having to do huge water changes you can get rid of chlorine in the water by filling a bucket with water out of tap as fast as it will come out. Churning the water up helps get rid of some chlorine. Then allowing the water to stand for 24hours means that all chlorine will be gone. I don't know whether this method rids the water of heavy metals and chloramine though which are a whole diffrent kettle of fish.

These topics discuss using / building a home made one as well:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...hl=using+python

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...hl=using+python

:good:

1. How is the tap water dechlorinated when it pumps into the tank?
Most water supplies either add chlorine or chloramine to the water. Chlorine will dissipate after awhile if the water is agitated, chloramine will not. Dechlorinators will bind with the chlorine in the chloramine. Unfortunately, when you remove chlorine from chloramine, the bi-product is ammonia. Therefore, it's best to use dechlorinators that bind/neutralizes ammonia, as well as chlorine/chloramine. The most common product is Prime.

2. What about temperature - obviously the water from the tap will be colder than the water in the tank. How will the fish cope with this?
When using the Python No-Spill, you need to adjust the water from your tap so that it is as close to the tank temp. From what I understand, some taps have a separate faucet for hot and a separate faucet for cold. In this case, you need to one of those faucet connections (forgot what they are called) that combines both the hot and cold faucets.

3. When conducting a water change do I have to let the water stand for 24hrs after treating it. The bloke in my LFS said I did but reading these forums that doesn't seem to be the case. Also, I am thinking of upgrading to a bigger tank and don't have room to stand loads of buckets!
If you are performing a small water change of less than 30%, it is safe enough to add the dechlorinator into the tank, before adding the water. When performing larger water changes, I suggest storing, treating (dechlorinator), and heating the water first. The reason is, for large water changes, there will be a great variation in water chemistry (pH, temp, etc.). Therefore, it's best to store the age the water, heat it, and use dechlorinator so that it is very close to the same water parameter as your tank.

I have used one of these devices for several years it is better than sliced bread. You have to have certain conditions though to use it successfully.

1. Ideally your water at the tap does not contain chemicals in other words you are not on a municipal supply

2. You need a mixing fixture where the hot and cold mix inside the faucet

3. If you are useing the device to vacuum your fixture can not be low flow

Crazzie Eddie has an opinion conerning adding dechlorinators directly to the tank, I have no experience with this.

Scott

I got one of these for my daughter's boyfriend, he uses it on a 75 gallon. They are way better than buckets. I have a seperate fill and drain line to my fishroom, I change a lot of water.

1.) Add dechlor to the tank when filling. Dechlorinator works almost instantly.

2.) If you do 20% or less water changes cold water will work fine, colder water changes are used to induce spawning in many species. Larger changes do require a fixture that mixes hot & cold.

3.) Chlorine will gas out, chloramine will not. A water conditioner that treats for chlorine, chloramine, & ammonia is suggested.

If you do regular weekly water changes the difference between tap & tank will not be very great, if at all. I do 50% weekly filling with a hose that runs to my utility sink, mixing hot & cold.

Rather than hooking the Python up to the sink to siphon the water out which is a big waste of water I have always siphoned the water into the toilet or out the back door. Then I hook up the python to the sink to refill. You will have plenty of time to adjust the water temperature as the tank refills. I also add water treatment to the tank as it refills.

I've always just used cold water because I've read that the hot water heater can leach unwanted metals (i.e. lead from metal pipes) into the water that are toxic to the fish. I've also heard that you should cook with water that starts out cold for the same reason. I add the water straight to the tank (with Prime water conditioner), and the fish don't seem to mind the cold water so it's never been a problem.

Rather than hooking the Python up to the sink to siphon the water out which is a big waste of water I have always siphoned the water into the toilet or out the back door. Then I hook up the python to the sink to refill. You will have plenty of time to adjust the water temperature as the tank refills. I also add water treatment to the tank as it refills.

If the tank is high enough, you don't have to use the faucet for the Python to continue the siphon. Just turn on the faucet to start the siphon and let it run for about a minute or 2 then turn off the faucet. The siphon should continue, but it will probably be not as strong.

My python has been my number 1 fish keeping tool since I bought one a few years ago. They are absolutely the best piece of a equipment next to a reliable filter. And if you have well water that is free of chlorine/chloramines it makes the whole process even easier. :good:

We're thinking of upgrading to a bigger tank this summer, when we have the room. I've heard of this product and requested a catalog, I'm very interested. Glad I stumbled upon this thread, thanks for the info!! :good:

I wouldn't be without a python after buying one when upgrading to my 4ft tank. I always fill from the cold tap when refilling the tank and add dechlorinator into the stream which dispereses it around the aquarium.

The fish have nver had a problem with this

I have had a python since I got my 75gal tank. There was no way I could lug buckets around for 4 tanks, especially since I had back surgery. I've always added dechlorinator as I'm filling the never, and have never had a problem, and I do weekly 50% water changes on the big tank. I highly recommend getting one.

Most reactions

Back