Anyone Use Purigen?

nurglespuss

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Purigen

Heya guys, simple really :) do any of you use this stuff? If so could you answer a few questions:

Does it really last 6 months?
Does the regeneration really work?
Do you just put it in your external lifter - or keep it in a visible place?
Will it strip my tank of plant beneficial nutrients? (I only have aquatic epiphytes - so nooo ferts)...
Finally, is it worth it?

Cheers!

i use it on all my planted tanks and would not be without it.

Does it really last 6 months?

probably not as long as that, but i can get 3-4 months out of it before recharge.

Does the regeneration really work?

yes it does, but i now just buy a new bag every 4 months...for a tenner you cannot go wrong imo.

Do you just put it in your external lifter - or keep it in a visible place?

just throw it in you external

Will it strip my tank of plant beneficial nutrients? (I only have aquatic epiphytes - so nooo ferts)...

it will not remove trace elements, it will remove organic compounds ie N and P. But it will not remove inorganic compounds like KNO3 and P04, so on a high tech tank it works wonders...keeping imo/ime algal growth to a minium. It also like ammonia sources.

Finally, is it worth it?

yes!

Cheers! Very helpful :D

final Qs

So just to clarify, I could still not add ferts, and, does it come with a bag?

Thanks!

the 100g comes in a bag and that will do 400l. I would keep an eye on your plants. :good:

The small one comes in a bag. You won't have to add anything for your plants that you already aren't. I've recharged a single bag several times. Just 50/50 bleach and water, rinse well and soak in water with prime to remove residual chlorine.

Interesting, might be worth an investment.

So if it doesn't remove KNO3 and PO4, i take it it's ok to use with TPN+ (i assume so since Ian uses TPN+...!)

Do you put it at the end of the filter, ie. the last point before the outlet?

Lastly, what kind of bleach is appropriate? Can you use the "lemony fresh" type bleach or does it have to be bleach-only bleach...?!

not any bleach!!
just get plain thin, thats thin bleach, cheap plain thin bleach.
i use asda own brand thin cheap bleach, that`ll do.

riffraff

cheap thin plain bleach :good:

i brought some, and its defintely made a difference to the water clarity. i still get little particles, but thats probably down to heavy stocking and lots of catfish. the water itself is defintely clearer. only took a day or 2 to make a visible difference. ive not had it long enough to comment on how long it lasts though. mine is in the top tray of an ex1200.

Ordered mine last night too! It will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes, since i thought my water clarity was already pretty good.

Most reactions

Back