Anyone Use Acrylic Tank?

dingweding

Fishaholic
Reaction score
wot is difference between acrylic and plastic, or is it just plastic?
My glass tank crash last nigt, there is a big crack at the bottom of tank, i think the stand is not even, so i am thinking to get a cacrylic one, not too big, 30 or 40L is enough. where can i buy them in UK?

or maybe i should just use that kinda transpanent plastic box for reptile, in order to save some cash?

acrylic is plexiglas. plastic is just plastic. i would stay away from plastic because its scratches really easily. acrylic scratches easily too, so watch out for that. acrylic is way more epensive than glass, so i would just recommend getting another glass tank

acrylic is plexiglas. plastic is just plastic. i would stay away from plastic because its scratches really easily. acrylic scratches easily too, so watch out for that. acrylic is way more epensive than glass, so i would just recommend getting another glass tank

i hope i can, but i am so scared a new glass one will crack again

just put some polystyrene inbetween the stand n tank :blink:

will it helps? i thought about it b4, but then i think if the stand is not uneven, no matter how much u put it, it seems uneven.
so i just put the bare tank there, 1 week later, it cracked.

I'm an advocate of acrylic tanks although they do cost quite a bit more than the same sized glass tank. I've owned a Clarity Plus 32 gallon and a 7 gallon for 15 years and they look like they are new with no scratches.

Some benefits of acrylic:
- 17 times stronger than glass
- 20% better insulator than glass
- Less than half the weight of glass
- Medications like malachite green have no effect on the acrylic or the seams
- acrylic has a transparency rating of 93%, which is as clear as optical glass

Weakness of acrylic:
- Cost
- Can scratch easier than glass (if you are not careful)

Regardless of whether you replace your tank with acrylic or glass you really need to solve the level problem.

Regardless of whether you replace your tank with acrylic or glass you really need to solve the level problem.

I understand that, but the stand for me looks alright, it looks flat, and smooth, i do not know why the tank crack. The tank used to be put on a book shelf, which i found the shelf board become slight arch shape, so i am move the tank to a stand, however 1 week later it cracked, it is fine about 3 weeks on the arched book shelf, no idea why :angry:

I'm an advocate of acrylic tanks although they do cost quite a bit more than the same sized glass tank. I've owned a Clarity Plus 32 gallon and a 7 gallon for 15 years and they look like they are new with no scratches.

Some benefits of acrylic:
- 17 times stronger than glass
- 20% better insulator than glass
- Less than half the weight of glass
- Medications like malachite green have no effect on the acrylic or the seams
- acrylic has a transparency rating of 93%, which is as clear as optical glass

Weakness of acrylic:
- Cost
- Can scratch easier than glass (if you are not careful)

I noticed it is easier to get scratch, i have some bowls, i put gravel inside it and wash the gravel, once done, i found those brand new bowls have a lot scratches :sick:

yes, in US there are a lot nice small acrylic tank, but in UK, not so many available

I noticed it is easier to get scratch, i have some bowls, i put gravel inside it and wash the gravel, once done, i found those brand new bowls have a lot scratches :sick:

yes, in US there are a lot nice small acrylic tank, but in UK, not so many available
From what I've noticed the smaller tanks in general aren't of the same quality as the big tanks made by Sea Clear and Clarity Plus. When cleaning the tank, be sure to use pads that are specifically made for acrylic since they aren't as abrasive and will not make scratches and swirl marks. Also, never use regular glass cleaners but cleaner/polishers made for acrylic. :nod:

From what I've noticed the smaller tanks in general aren't of the same quality as the big tanks made by Sea Clear and Clarity Plus. When cleaning the tank, be sure to use pads that are specifically made for acrylic since they aren't as abrasive and will not make scratches and swirl marks. Also, never use regular glass cleaners but cleaner/polishers made for acrylic. :nod:

Thanks, Gazoo, i think i will go for acrylic one, but i cannot find a good deal in UK, search ebay as well, some are far too expensive, some are too small :angry:

Most reactions

Back