Anyone Know Any Good Breeds Of Birds?

mike_nofx

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Im looking at getting a bird and im not sure what type to get, im not really bird literate... does anyone know any good bird species which dont screech.

I dont mind a bird which chirps, just not loud ear piercing noises.

I would also prefer a bird which i can teach to talk.

Thanks

Parrotlets!! Parrotlets!! :hyper:
They're like big parrots in small bird bodies. Quite intelligent, can learn to talk, and aren't normally very loud at all (not like the screaming lovebirds my mother has, that's for sure!)

Budgies are another option, though they're not commonly hand raised and will basically be wild when you get them. It takes a lot of time and effort to really tame them down, in my experience. On the up side though, their bites aren't at all painful, unlike basically any other tameable small bird. They're not the brightest of things compared to some others, but they have great personalities and males can be taught to talk with plenty of time and patience. I had a male in the past that could say several words and phrases :). Their main selling point is that they're cheap; you can get one for around $14 practically anywhere pets are sold.

Cockatiels, too, are pretty good, but tend to be louder than the other two. Smart like parrotlets and usually hand raised like them (but do make sure they are before you purchase one if this is something you want, and trust me, you do). Not quite as nippy as parrotlets in my experience, but any bird can be taught not to bite and most will be somewhat nippy when you first get them. These are probably the easiest of the three to teach to talk.

A note on the talking thing too.... with smaller birds, you really do have to teach it most of the time. This means repeating the phrase you want the bird to learn over and over... and over and over and over, until the bird picks it up :p. After the first word/phrase it gets easier, but it's not as common for smaller birds to just pick up and repeat bits of conversation as it is for large parrots.

Here are my parrotlets... come on, you know you want one like them ;)
DSCN1729.jpg

Males are the ones with the pretty blue on them
DSCN1730.jpg

How about a male canary - very calm and trusting and will sing beautifully. It won't talk though.

Budgies are best for learning to talk but make sure it's a young male bird ideally 8 weeks old or so as then it will be easy to hand tame. They can be a bit screechy - not an ideal bird for keeping in a bedroom as they'll keep you awake!
They are great fun though. I breed a few budgies - if you think of getting one try to find a breeder to buy if from rather than the petshop - and then you'll know exactly how old the budgie will be. They are very easy to hand tame as long as they are young. I take my baby budgies away from the parents 10 days or so after they leave the nest box and I know they can feed themselves and then I hand tame them separately. Easy peasy.

im afraid there really arent many birds that dont screech and squawk. even budgies have a pretty loud screech in comparison to their body size.

if you want a quiet bird go for a canary or a finch. a male canary will sing, rather than squawk. they arent very tameable but very good to admire. you could teach it a few things, like eating out of your hand and stuff too.

i have budgies, they are great, neither of mine even learned to talk even though i got them as 6 week old babies. i have tried and tried, its just something that only some budgies will pick up and others wont.

tiels are probably the best small bird to learn to talk but theres that screeching that comes with the package, and there is no guarantee that they will learn to talk.

do lots of research and im sure you will find a bird perfect for your lifestyle.

let us know what you choose. :)

Im looking at getting a bird and im not sure what type to get, im not really bird literate... does anyone know any good bird species which dont screech.

I dont mind a bird which chirps, just not loud ear piercing noises.

I would also prefer a bird which i can teach to talk.

Thanks

I very strongly suggest you do a lot of research before you even consider getting a bird.

They are not toys - They wont just talk and then be quiet the rest of the time. If you get a bird to talk it will carry on talking, constantly, and often very loudly! My three birds are very quiet compared to a lot of birds, i have two conures and a Cape. My Cape parrot has a very large vocabulary, and although he doesn't screech, if he wants attention he will shout my name, or 'Hello' VERY loudly if he can hear me nearby!

In all honestly, without wishing to sound too harsh, i dont think you should get a bird at all. You said you are "not really bird literate". You should get 'bird literate' before you even consider bringing one home. People have suggested parrotlet, cockatiels and canaries, which can be great little pets but you have to pt the work into them. If you want a tame one, or buy one handreared, it will have to be out, with you, for about 5 hours a day (more if you can manage it!!) and will need a constant supply of toys/food/perches (look in your local pet shop for how much thats going to cost!!! :crazy: )

I think its great that you're looking for information first, but i honestly dont think you understand what owning a bird is really like. You can buy a species that CAN talk and it wont say a word, or you can get something that technically doesn't talk well and it wont stop talking. It depends on how much work you put into it! :)

You should be thinking of it as a lifelong (if you buy a parrt, even longer!) responsibility and you have to be willing to keep the bird and look after it even if it doesn't turn out how you want it to. Do some more research, and if you still want one, then im sure some suggestions could be made for what birds would fit into your life and home :)

You should be thinking of it as a lifelong (if you buy a parrt, even longer!) responsibility...
This is a very good point. Even little budgies and parrotlets can live 20 years!

The parakeets which live at my office are generally ignored (they do not belong to me, but to my boss), and aren't tame as a result. They've been alive for over 21 years, possibly 25. Wouldn't know it if you told them, they SCREECH when it strikes their fancy, as well as peep, garble, whistle, and various other sounds that haven't been named yet. I like them, I really do, they bring a lot of life to the workplace and etc etc... but lawdy sometimes I wish they had a mute button. :lol:

I actually saw a finch for the first time two months ago, I found their little sounds very sweet and their interaction with one another delightful. Is it really important to you that you have a talking bird? Talking birds are generally very smart, and if they talk they're inclined to be noisy as a part of the territory.

I agree with everything Jessica said; no matter what the size and species, all birds are noisy, messy, have highly specific care needs, and will cost you a bundle in vet bills if anything happened to them. You need to research proper diet, caging, social structure, handling, etc. You need to call local vets and make sure they even are competant in avian medicine. You need to "bird proof" your house - you'd be amazed at how many common household items are extremely toxic to birds. And you definately need to consider how much you want a bird if you don't want something noisy. So please, consider heavily researching birds before deciding on what one to get.

I totally agree that you need to do a lot of research before committing to a bird. Read articles on the net, books, and take visits to reputable pet stores that specialize in birds to get a feel for what you like. The reason why I say visit stores that specialize in birds is that they, in general, will be more intune to the needs of a specific species rather than the LPSs which tend to be a jack of all trades. In addition, the specimens from these stores tend to be better quality birds and many are hand-raised. Yes, they will cost more, but you will avoid birds that have been bred at random (birds like these can come with a myriad of health problems, including the "Swallow" wings and small heads so common with Parakeets). As with dogs, cats, and fish, genetics plays an important part in the quality of your stock.

More advice. Work out how much you are willing to spend for the bird's up keep per month, and be sure not to skimp out on it's habitat. Birds love to be entertained and boredom can lead to multiple mental and physical conditions. Yes birds can have mental disorders, obsessive cumpulsive disorder can occur as can anxiety. They also deal with grief and are really quite advanced. To be bird-brained is really not to be stupid, as birds are extremely intelligent and have been awarded with some of the most incredible senses in the animal kingdom.

That being said. I have kept several species ranging from the interactive lovebirds to social finches and budgies and canaries and all species have their special charms. I particularly enjoy canaries. They are larger and heavier built than the tiny finches and a male's song is really a lovely thing to hear. Finches are very fun and very social. I have a pair of zebra finches in Miami, Mr. and Mrs. Stumpy. Mr. Stumpy was a victim of a terrible accident with his previous owners and as a result, he is missing all the toes in one foot and two from the other. Yet he manages to get some action with Mrs. Stumpy and they have several eggs. They eat together, drink together, preen each other, and sleep together at night. I think they are adorable.

If you remember to do your research and plan carefully, I'm sure that when you decide the time is right to have a bird, you'll truely enjoy the experience.

As you read up on birds look up the Senegal Parrots. Also pet Starlings, depending on where you live. But do do a lot of reading, try looking into a local bird club.

IMO i dont think anyone should keep birds, they are meant to fly not to be kept in cages.

Then we shouldn't really be keeping fish, should we. They are meant to swim in the great streams, lakes, rivers, and oceans, and not in a glass box.

Many of the species discussed are domesticated to the point that survival in the wild is questionable at best, and though some species have managed to establish small local breeding populations, it is mainly in urban areas, and sometimes with detrimental results to wild bird species. In addition, because of habitat loss, keeping some species in captivity prevents their extinction in the wild due to habitat destruction, similar to what is done in the aquarium hobby to preserve some species like Endler's and some wild betta species.

Not meaning to start an arguement, just pointing some things out.

Can we really compare birds to fish though? It suppose it depends where your boundries lie. For example i dont think its ok to keep dogs, they are meant to roam free. However cats are ok, they can go where they want anyway. Fish are weird pets they are half way between ornaments and pets :crazy:

Can we really compare birds to fish though?
Absolutely. They both live in vast territories in the wild, and in captivity we keep them in "boxes", whether they be glass or wire. Domestic dogs and cats do no exist in the wild and wouldn't exist at all if we humans hadn't had our hand in their evolution, so they, along with all other domestic creatures, are a moot point as they actually have no natural environment with which we can compare their captive conditions. Pet birds, especially those handraised by people, are very personable and can form strong bonds with their owners, recognising them as members of the flock. They should also be allowed out of their cages daily for exercise if they are not being kept in large flights/aviaries.

Most reactions

Back