Anyone Got A Biorb?

alysonpeaches

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a couple of conventional tanks already, but Im still fairly new to fishkeeping.

I really like the look of biorbs and wouldnt mind one for ornamental value. I really fancy one with the special light that does dawn to dusk, and would like it in my bedroom. However, given that bowls are now considered cruel for goldfish, I dont know if biorbs are appropriate on humanitarian grounds.

So I would like your opinion on biorbs. and

Anyone have any other type of small (quiet tank) in their bedroom?

hi i think these bi orbs do look nice. in the pet shops they have display ones set up with ornaments and stuff in them and they look nice. however, i would probably be put off by the fact that they can not have many fish in them as they are rather small.

i didn't know it was considered cruel to keep goldfish in a bowl. why is this? is it because the bowls are too small or is it something to do with the shape they don't like?

hi i think these bi orbs do look nice. in the pet shops they have display ones set up with ornaments and stuff in them and they look nice. however, i would probably be put off by the fact that they can not have many fish in them as they are rather small.

i didn't know it was considered cruel to keep goldfish in a bowl. why is this? is it because the bowls are too small or is it something to do with the shape they don't like?

I think they are too small and usually dont contain a filter. Goldfish make a lot of poop. But when I was a kid everyone had their goldfish in a bowl, I know, I know it doesnt make it right. Somewhere I also read that the bowl distorts their view of life but I cant remember the facts about that.

Im not really into goldfish anyway, I would go for a few small tropicals like endlers or guppys.

In my reading here on TFF I've seen that there are Biorb enthusiasts and that some of these members can apparently do some quite interesting things with them. You have to stay within the extremely limited confines that it restricts you to; very few fish and very limited types of fish. For filtration and heating you have special problems to solve sometimes and as an ornament, it can take quite a bit of maintenance to keep it looking appropriately beautiful I would say.

About the goldfish bowl question, yes, I think size is perhaps the first issue with bowls. Although there is much controversey about it, I believe some of the goldfish enthusiasts feel the first goldfish should have a minimum of 20 US gallons of space and each additional goldfish should get an additional 10g (ie. 30g min for 2 goldfish.) Obviously, one does not often run across a 20g goldfish bowl. Some of the controverseys stem from the fact that goldfish are quite tough and will survive in limited and fairly bad conditions, but good fishkeepers point out that these situations can often be considered quite cruel to the fish.

Another problem with bowls is that most gear, like filtration gear, presents problems when being fitted to a bowl. It becomes obvious when you study it a bit. I think one of the frustrating things about the classic beautiful goldfish in a nice round bowl, is that it presents such a clear and often startling image of the beauty of fish and water. The roundness somehow compliments the clear water and really makes one enjoy the pure artistic beauty I think, so its not surprising that it presents a strong pull to people to acquire these things on impulse. The frustrating part is that the setup is really not correct for keeping the fish healthy with any ease at all.

~~waterdrop~~

yeah as WD said basically I would never advise on one for your only or main tank, they are very restrictive due to the small surface area and unusual shape. However if you like one and are prepared to work within their limitations then it's absolutley fine.

It's just a case of minature fish only and not many of them. The small ones do nicely as a home for a single male betta if that takes your fancy?

TBH, the only thing I'd put in a BiOrb is shrimp. Even the smallest fish need swimming space and a BiOrb can't do that. VERY expensive for what they are, too. You can get a large Aquacube for around half the price; all you need to do is add a heater, substrate, 10-12 small-ish fish and away you go.

Most reactions

Back