Anyone Ever Heard Of This?

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
Hi everyone. About 6 months ago I had some dalmation mollies in my 30 gallon. The big female was heavly pregnant. So she birthed over night. I woke up in the morning to find a whole bunch of eggs and some fry. It took about a week but the eggs finally hatched and they grew up to selling size and I sole them. Has anyone ever heard/ experienced this before?

No. Mollies are livebearers and so do not lay eggs. It's possible the eggs were from another fish in the aquarium, but definitely not from the mollies.

I have actually heard of Mollies laying eggs, but not of the eggs they release actually hatching. And yes, all fry come from eggs even livebearers. Livebearers just keep the eggs in their body until they hatch instead of laying them. Usually mollies "lay eggs" when they are aborting their fry, the fry are sometimes still in their eggs when they are aborted. I have never personally heard of the eggs hatching once aborted though.

Rez B)

All common livebearer's do produce eggs like what's been said already, and the female gives birth when the egg's hatch.

If she gives birth to eggs, this is coz something has happened to stress her, poor water, being moved or something.
Usually these eggs will not hatch, but die off. :(

Out of interest though their is a group of livebearers that feed their fry like mammal's do. These are generally called goodieads and are only found in Mexico.

Out of interest though their is a group of livebearers that feed their fry like mammal's do. These are generally called goodieads and are only found in Mexico.

except the females don't actually have a placenta: instead, the fry have little growths known as trophotaenia through which they take up nourishment from their mother until they are born.

some poeciliids (molly relatives), like heterandria formosa, are thought to represent a sort of half-way house; the fact that the fry are many times larger at birth than the egg shows that they must have been getting nutrition from somewhere, i.e. from the mother, but they aren't actually born sporting trophotaenia

I keep porthole livebearers which (like heterandrias) practise superfoetation; this means that the female carries several batches of fry at different stages of development and gives birth to them gradually, as they mature. The result is that the fry are born much more developed than your ordinary platy or guppy fry

sorry, I'm getting totally side-tracked, I just find this subject fascinating

All I am saying is that I mut some methlyne blue in there and about a week later I had some babie mollies swimming around in the breeder, but sadly the mom died from stress.

Hi everyone. About 6 months ago I had some dalmation mollies in my 30 gallon. The big female was heavly pregnant. So she birthed over night. I woke up in the morning to find a whole bunch of eggs and some fry. It took about a week but the eggs finally hatched and they grew up to selling size and I sole them. Has anyone ever heard/ experienced this before?

Yes i have heard this before, is rare but can happen

Your probably looking at aborted eggs that just ended up developing. Livebearers do have eggs, but they hold them until the fry are ready to swim free normally. That is also why the fry don't eat for the first couple of days sometimes. They have a yolk sack that provides them nutrients that may not be used up. It's rare like people are saying, and it's an indication that something is not good with the living conditions, whether it be crowding, water quality, or something else.

It was with 6 other mollies, 4 swordtails, i pleco, 2 and 2 angel fish. I got her 2 weeks before she birthed. I water stats were fine. So I dont know why it happend and I did know that they carried eggs inside them.

Assuming that Pleco wasn't already quite large (most get to be around 24"), the bioload on the tank shouldn't have been too high. I'm assuming when you say the levels are normal you have 0 for ammonia and nitrites and under 30 PPM for the nitrates. Really, since it has happened, there isn't much you can do. If it reoccurs it's something to look into, but that's good that some of the eggs still produced fry.

Most reactions

Back