Anybody Painted Their Background? Advice Needed

I have never painted my tanks, if you go to your local LFS you can buy backgrounds that are black on one side, blue on the other. You can then remove them anytime you like, or change from black to blue.

Personally i would not recommend painting, would be a pain to sell if you ever upgrade too, just my thoughts.

I use Gloss, Emulsion, Acrylic Paints to paint a tank. Never had any probs before.

I've never painted the back of my tanks, I either buy one of those fancy backgrounds at the store that have all those plants in them, or I make my own background to tape onto the tank. I think that you should never paint the tank itself, because then if you change the species that are in the tank they might not look good with the background and you won't be able to change it. However if I had to choose I would pick the blue paint because a good blue goes well with pretty much all fish, but if you plan to never change you species then you should go with black.

matt black rubber paint. works very well. mind you, u have to clean it with brush. it will be a pain in the back side for 6 footer. any paint would come off with magnet.

can i say 3d back grounds are much niceer and not that expancive..

Just to be clear here, you want to paint the OUTSIDE, not the inside of the glass. Paint can be easily removed with a razor blade from glass as most paint doesn't bond well with glass (there are exceptions, but usually the paint for glass is a fair bit more expensive). I have never had any trouble removing it, just takes a bit and a little work, plus it looks much better than a taped on background.

i think im going to go for black self adhesive vinyl, seems you can get a very good finish with this stuff and if i do decide to change sometime in the futurit wont be to much hassle to remove, what do you guys think?

Most reactions

Back