Anybody Painted Their Background? Advice Needed

herbie76

Reaction score
im going to paint the back of my 6ft tank either black or blue, just wondered whats the best paint to use? im going to roller it on. can people post a picture of theres to help me make ip my mind which colour to go for, im going to be keeping malawi

im going to paint the back of my 6ft tank either black or blue, just wondered whats the best paint to use? im going to roller it on. can people post a picture of theres to help me make ip my mind which colour to go for, im going to be keeping malawi

Ive painted the back and sides of my main tank. I cant remember what kind of paint it was, though it is matt. I remember it was a good quality thick paint that I slapped on with a wide brush, though I don't see why a roller wouldn't work.

I've never painted my tank, but because your going for Malawis, I would say black is better, they will stand out more :rolleyes:

Ive painted the back and sides of my main tank. I cant remember what kind of paint it was, though it is matt. I remember it was a good quality thick paint that I slapped on with a wide brush, though I don't see why a roller wouldn't work.
any chance you could post a picture to help me make up my mind which colour to go for

any chance you could post a picture to help me make up my mind which colour to go for

Tank under construction, black background, sand substrate

12112010066.jpg

Tank under construction, black background, sand substrate

12112010066.jpg
looks good, did you paint the background, if so what paint did you use

if i was going to do this the first thing i would think of using is smooth black hammerite. its very sticky and thick, which is going to help when painting a slippery surface like glass. i would still expect to do a few coats though.

This 240l was done with 1 coat of black emulsion, a 99p tester pot. It also did my 60l.

DSCN0860.jpg

DSCN0864.jpg

I always go for black over blue as it gives the fish more security, but I don't know if that's a consideration with Malawis having never kept cichlids other than my angel! My 120l was done with Fablon sticky backed plastic and tbh it gave a far better result when viewed up close.
Hope this helps,
Jo

This is the 120l done with Fablon for comparison
DSCN0838.jpg

two coats of blackboard paint
no problems used to do all my tanks
the same way

i thnk i used to pay £1.50 for
half ltr

I don't know if you are in the uk, but Fablon is a sticky backed plastic on a roll. I got a roll from B&Q about £5 for 5 metres (I think). It's easy to put on and tbh took less time putting it on my 120l than painting the 60l did!

i used gloss for one of my tanks and matt emulsion and they worked the same and the emulsion didnt reak

When I paint the backs of my tanks, I use a good quality spray paint and just take my time. It's cheap, waterproof and covers well if you do 2 or 3 even coats (never hold a spray can still while painting, this causes runs and uneven coverage.)

Here's a video of my tank with a black background.

Most reactions

Back