Anybody Got Any Horror Stories?

Another one, which is more of a newby mistake ,involves my small 30L tank when i knew next-to-nothing about fishkeeping. Came downstairs one morning, still dark out, and switched on my tank lights to see how my Cardinal Tetra were doing (i know, i know, they have since been moved into the big tank with another 10 of their kind). Now, as you may all know, they lose their bright red bellies at night time (which is simply the flow of blood round their bodys), but i didn't know this.. cue a 04:45am 90% water change in complete panic, and having Mrs.Apple sit in all morning checking on the little fellas! Again, :blush:

Terry.

Terry.

Ah, I'm glad you posted this - I wondered why when I came home after a holiday to find my light had failed, all my Cardinals were almost completely devoid of any red coulouring. They coloured up very quickly after I turned the light on so I wasn't too worried but it's something I've wondered about for a while - glad to hear it's normal!

Another one, which is more of a newby mistake ,involves my small 30L tank when i knew next-to-nothing about fishkeeping. Came downstairs one morning, still dark out, and switched on my tank lights to see how my Cardinal Tetra were doing (i know, i know, they have since been moved into the big tank with another 10 of their kind). Now, as you may all know, they lose their bright red bellies at night time (which is simply the flow of blood round their bodys), but i didn't know this.. cue a 04:45am 90% water change in complete panic, and having Mrs.Apple sit in all morning checking on the little fellas! Again, :blush:

Terry.

Terry.

Ah, I'm glad you posted this - I wondered why when I came home after a holiday to find my light had failed, all my Cardinals were almost completely devoid of any red coulouring. They coloured up very quickly after I turned the light on so I wasn't too worried but it's something I've wondered about for a while - glad to hear it's normal!

:good:

Terry.

Another horror story: I walked through a generic supermarket aquatic section. Almost threw up.

DSC_0111.jpg

I can echo the power out story. Away for a week in winter, power cut tripped the main breaker. Heating cuts out as do the tanks. When I got home there was ice on the surface of the tanks. Lost everything in them apart from a bronze cory that lived for another 5-6 years.

I can echo the power out story. Away for a week in winter, power cut tripped the main breaker. Heating cuts out as do the tanks. When I got home there was ice on the surface of the tanks. Lost everything in them apart from a bronze cory that lived for another 5-6 years.

Wow DrRob, that was one tough cory!

Good grief!! Didn't your pipes freeze?? Wow, that's just terrible ...
crazy.gif

He was a tough cory, lost the rest of his shoal and he didn't seem all that bothered, warmed him slowly and he started moving again. If the pipes froze, they didn't burst.

Back in 1996 I had a 58g Ocenaic. I was busy. I left the tank for several month and when I tore it down I had a Jack Dempsy, I named monster. I guess you had to see it. No food for 3 months.

Walking into (a store that sells everything here in the UK) and their display tanks have 2 sometimes more big fancy goldfish in them, in grimey water. Makes me want to vomit everytime

opened the clips on my external filter BEFORE disconnecting the hoses.

1hr later and the floor was dry again.

opened the clips on my external filter BEFORE disconnecting the hoses.

1hr later and the floor was dry again.
Ive done something similar. I fill my tanks from the tap. Well one day the hose wasn't set well enough in the tank, and it fell out when I went to go turn the water on.....I filled my carpet with a couple of gallons of waters. Sat there for an hour with a steam vac sucking water out of the floor.

When i moved house several years ago i had a 5ft tank that i could not move for a few days, so i put all the fish in a open top holding tank in the new house living room, i came home from work one evening to find all my fish dead, including two beautiful snakeskin discus :-(

After 10 minutes checking to see if any where alive (none were) i did a water check, all the parameters were fine, i then looked up to see a big can of air freshener sat on the fireplace, after questioning the missus she admitted she had gone nuts with the freshener all over the house, which must have killed my fish! :crazy:

Shake n Vac, Scented candles, anything that has a fragrance, is now banned from coming within 20ft of my tank.

Reading all these makes me feel very lucky, I don't think I have anything I can call a horror story, more a few near misses! Have dropped electric things in tanks a few times and spilt water all over an extension lead before but nothing has happened - I don't know how many lives I have...

Worst thing that has ever happened to ME is falling backside first into a 50 litres of waste water half way through a water change :grr:

My horror story is probably walking into my room with dead fish and exploded glass all over the floor, covered in water.

But most of you have already heard it ... :unsure:

Most reactions

Back