Any1 Know Anything On Pink Danio's

I found this......

GloFish glow! They are transgenic zebra danios that have been genetically modified to produce a fluorescent pink glow. Created by the National University of Singapore, GloFish have an extra Red Fluorescent Protein gene inserted into their genome from a coral which makes them emit a rosy, pink glow all the time.

Thats all i cud find

I think there are both dyed and genetically modified danios out there. The genetically modified ones are all pink, as far as I know, and are usually sold as glofish. Green and yellow danios are probably dyed.

I think there are both dyed and genetically modified danios out there. The genetically modified ones are all pink, as far as I know, and are usually sold as glofish. Green and yellow danios are probably dyed.

Nope. If you check out the glofish website they have green and yellow GM fish now as well.

*Technically* they're illegal in the UK (unless they're dyed, which is stupid, but never mind...). You might want to tell the supplier, DEFRA may well get narky with them.

AFAIK they're the GloFish genetically modified zebra danios, I've never come across dyed danios (they'd be too dark to dye well I assume is the reason). Technically illegal in the UK as OohFeeshy said, don't think they are yet licensed for sale here. They probably will be soon.

It's a moral issue. Some people are strongly against modified and died fish. Other people are alright with it and don't care. So the correct answer to the solution is: If you are fine with it then don't worry about it, if you have a problem with it take them back to the lfs and let them know how you feel and that you weren't aware of the procedure in getting these bright colors. I am sure if they are a good LFS they will understand your situation. Now beware, some people may try to attack these fish and say THIS IS WRONG YOU ARE BAD TAKE THEM BACK BECAUSE I AM RIGHT. Others may say who cares they are just fish. Just go with your heart.

(all this comes from someone who is completely neutral on the situation)

Most reactions

Back