Any members 65 or older willing to talk about their pets?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wonkey78

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a Master's student (in my 40s!) doing a study on how non-traditional animals can contribute to well-being and I am looking for people 65+ who own any type of pet other than a dog or a cat. Most research on how pets benefit our lives focus only the two most common pets and I wanted to look at how other creatures can also be great companions. Most research also focuses on people in their 20s and that's why I wanted to speak with older people.

If you, or anyone you know qualifies and would be willing to have a chat with me about your unusual pets (about 45 mins online) please send me a message.

Thank you!
Cathy

Hi everyone,

I'm a Master's student (in my 40s!) doing a study on how non-traditional animals can contribute to well-being and I am looking for people 65+ who own any type of pet other than a dog or a cat. Most research on how pets benefit our lives focus only the two most common pets and I wanted to look at how other creatures can also be great companions. Most research also focuses on people in their 20s and that's why I wanted to speak with older people.

If you, or anyone you know qualifies and would be willing to have a chat with me about your unusual pets (about 45 mins online) please send me a message.

Thank you!
Cathy
Cathy
i’m 71- next month 72. not sure birds are considered unusual but- i have 3 large parrots, finches, a cockatiel, a lovebird,2 ringneck doves, a starling. i have a tank full of guppies with bottom cleaners( catfish and plecostomus), a tank of native north america freshwater fish and am trying to keep freshwater shrimp. also a beautiful goldfish.
finfayce aka barb

Cathy
i’m 71- next month 72. not sure birds are considered unusual but- i have 3 large parrots, finches, a cockatiel, a lovebird,2 ringneck doves, a starling. i have a tank full of guppies with bottom cleaners( catfish and plecostomus), a tank of native north america freshwater fish and am trying to keep freshwater shrimp. also a beautiful goldfish.
finfayce aka barb
Yes! Birds are unusual, I think so, especially compared to dogs and cats.

Welcome!
I don't fit the qualifications for your research but want to encourage you in your studies.
I think you picked a great way to find people for research and hopefully you'll share some of your conclusions.
😺
Thank you! The people on these forums have been so supportive. I had spent some time looking on Facebook and the response was really limited and I was a bit disheartened so this has really given me a boost.

I'm close enough. I've had two dogs, a terrier to 16, and an Aussie Shepherd to 14,15. He was full grown when I got him and his extremely high intelligence meant that I was keeping a near child. That dog would watch me drive and when I moved my foot to the brake? He would dig in!..He knew what that pedal did. He taught himself to climb a ladder I had left leaning against the fence and up and over he went with a smile on his face. I was watching from a window. My genius dog I would call him. He was gentle with kids and old people..never put his paws on their chest like he would for me and adult friends. He knew,I never had to teach that dog a thing.
To make a long story short..I only have a cat that was a feral kitten 10 years ago. Nobody can touch her or she will bite or claw...except? For me. I can carry her, scratch her, all that. Just me. But at my age? I can't take the life and death decisions as the beloved animals get old. I hate that. I told my wife "No more pets,just fish and even then..."

I've had two dogs, a terrier to 16, and an Aussie Shepherd to 14,15. He was full grown when I got him and his extremely high intelligence meant that I was keeping a near child. That dog would watch me drive and when I moved my foot to the brake? He would dig in!.
My dogs would move into the driver seat of my car if I left them in it. I went to the bike shop to pick something up and came back to the car. My papillon was standing on the driver seat with her paws on the steering wheel and she was trying to peer over the dash :) My kelpie x used to do the same too sometimes. Other times the kelpie would hop in the driver's seat and put her paws on the steering wheel and the papillon would move onto the front passenger seat. She normally sat on the back seat.

They also learnt out how to open automated sliding doors at shops and libraries. I went to the library and told the dogs to sit and wait while I went inside. I was waiting by the counter to return some books and the dogs didn't want to wait outside. So they walked up to the glass doors and the doors opened. The dogs came inside and sat next to me. Ever since then they just walk up to glass doors at shops or the library and walk on in. :)

Maybe my grandma in Omaha can tell you about her monkey. LOL She thinks its her baby. She dresses it up.

I'm close enough. I've had two dogs, a terrier to 16, and an Aussie Shepherd to 14,15. He was full grown when I got him and his extremely high intelligence meant that I was keeping a near child. That dog would watch me drive and when I moved my foot to the brake? He would dig in!..He knew what that pedal did. He taught himself to climb a ladder I had left leaning against the fence and up and over he went with a smile on his face. I was watching from a window. My genius dog I would call him. He was gentle with kids and old people..never put his paws on their chest like he would for me and adult friends. He knew,I never had to teach that dog a thing.
To make a long story short..I only have a cat that was a feral kitten 10 years ago. Nobody can touch her or she will bite or claw...except? For me. I can carry her, scratch her, all that. Just me. But at my age? I can't take the life and death decisions as the beloved animals get old. I hate that. I told my wife "No more pets,just fish and even then..."
I know what you mean. I've had to say goodbye to a few dogs over the years. It's a heartbreak.

Most reactions

Back