Any Ideas How To Clean/disinfect Quarantine Tank Following Sick Gouram

FroggyFish

Reaction score
Well, sadly, one of our female Gouramis, Sally died this morning, after a recent battle with what at first looked like a bacterial infection (red, sore-looking patches on face) followed by, in past 2 days, a fungal infection, and loss of appetite & lethargy. There were suggestions that it might have been the dreaded 'dwarf gourami disease', but we're not sure.

Anyway, we now have the task of thoroughly cleaning out the quarantine tank in which she resided for the past 2 weeks, to make it fit for use for any poorly fish we have in the future.

My question is, what do we use to clean it with, to remove all traces of bacteria/fungal matter ?

Any ideas would be useful.

Just use bleach and rinse well, let dry out for aday.
If you use a filter, hot salty water and run the filter in a bucket, rinse well, and let dry out for aday.

I just squeeze some bleach in with the water, I don't measure it.
As long as you rinse well and let dry out it should be fine.
You can use salt aswell.

Sorry forget.
R.I.P.

Just use bleach and rinse well, let dry out for aday.
If you use a filter, hot salty water and run the filter in a bucket, rinse well, and let dry out for aday.
May I ask about this, please? I'm trying to find out the cheapest way to set up a quarantine tank and wondered if a filter was essential? Are daily partial water changes suitable for example?

You don't always need a filter as some meds wipe the beneifical bacteria out in the filter. You would need an airstone if you don't run a filter for aeration.
You would also have to keep an eye on water stats.

Most reactions

Back