Any Ideas For A Bottom Feeder?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lefty07603

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a few platty and i would like to add a bottom feeder. I have a 10 gallon tank. And i was gonna buy cherry shrimp but my local store had them for $6 a pop. I thought that was a little high for a cherry shrimp.
If you could sell me some sort of bottom feeder let me know!

What about some cory catfish or black kuhli loaches(who are actually brown)? They'll make a peaceful communtity with your platties. Yes, I agree. $6 for a cherry shrimp is a little too expensive. Oh yeah, by the way. The cory cats and black kuhli loaches need to be in groups of AT LEAST 3.

Cory cats' size: About 3"
Black Kuhli Loaches' size: About 4"

Hope this helps. :)

What about some cory catfish or black kuhli loaches(who are actually brown)? They'll make a peaceful communtity with your platties. Yes, I agree. $6 for a cherry shrimp is a little too expensive. Oh yeah, by the way. The cory cats and black kuhli loaches need to be in groups of AT LEAST 3.

Cory cats' size: About 3"
Black Kuhli Loaches' size: About 4"

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks. But if i have 3 cory's thats 9 inches. Then with my platty thats over 1 inch per gallon. Does it matter because they are different level swimmers. Would it be bad if i only had 2?

There's different species of corys, and preferably they should be in groups of 6+. Some species like pygmys stay relatively small vs some that will get 3-4" the inch per gallon" rule" is just a rough guideline but not to be truely followed it's all about bioload :good: your corys are bottom feeders lol so you've got bottom feeders already, but may I ask the species you have?

There's different species of corys, and preferably they should be in groups of 6+. Some species like pygmys stay relatively small vs some that will get 3-4" the inch per gallon" rule" is just a rough guideline but not to be truely followed it's all about bioload :good: your corys are bottom feeders lol so you've got bottom feeders already, but may I ask the species you have?
Right now i havea couple sunset platty. I want to add bottom feeders

What kind of corys do you have? The one I'm talking about is a cory cat fish. THe only ones I know of are the: Cory catfish, panda cory catfish, and the albino cory catfish. I GUESS it would be okay. Is your tank a long tank, or more of a tall tank?

Here's a link about catfish:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/family.php?family_id=1

But best not to house your 9 inchers in a 10 gallon. A twenty would be better.

What kind of corys do you have? The one I'm talking about is a cory cat fish. THe only ones I know of are the: Cory catfish, panda cory catfish, and the albino cory catfish. I GUESS it would be okay. Is your tank a long tank, or more of a tall tank?

Here's a link about catfish:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/family.php?family_id=1

But best not to house your 9 inchers in a 10 gallon. A twenty would be better.
Right now i only have platy. I meant that 3, 3 inch corys add up to nine haha. Sorry, my bad. How bad is it if i only buy 2 corys?

Not good at all. These fish live in shoals of hundreds, if not thousands in the wild. Even six is generally considered the bare minimum. they won't really be happy as a pair.

You could look at one of the three 'dwarf' cory species; C. hastatus, C. habrosus or C. pygmaeus and have six or eight of those.

Or have a look for some cheaper cherries! They'll soon breed, so you only need to start off with a few. A lot of places sell them mail order and they survive very well being posted, as long as the seller knows how to package them. Ebay is a good place to look for shrimps :)

The inch per gallon rule matters for nothing. The Cory cat isn't a sub species it's the species. There's many different sub-species, emerald, panda, Pygmy, sterbai, Julii, skunk, adolfoi and loads more. They all get different sizes. 1 platy and 3 3" corys won't overstock a tank but you should go for a smaller species and get 6-8.

I got pygmy cories in one of my tanks and they are my favourite fish. They shoal nicely, play together, dig in the substrate, munch on plants... Really funny to watch. I can highly recommend them. I also got albino cories in the other tank and the difference in size is really great. So, if you wanted cories deffo go for the smaller ones and you can get a nice shoal so they are happy together.

Most reactions

Back