Any idea what type of snail this is?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Foxfish

Reaction score
So, I noticed this snail first when it was the size of a pinhead, I found it within the gravel I purchased after putting it in the tank. There are currently no other fish in this tank. It's probably been in there for 2 months and is now about 1cm long (roughly half an inch). I'm just not quite sure what it is. There are also now lots of little snails that look identical to what this snail did when it was smaller. It moves really fast as well.
I'm trying to cycle this tank and don't want it to be overrun by snails. I've tried looking it up online, but it's hard to get pictures on some of the places I've looked. I'm guessing it's a pond snail of some sort, but I'm not 100% sure.

Attachments

• IMG_2936.jpeg
    IMG_2936.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2937.jpeg
    IMG_2937.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2938.jpeg
    IMG_2938.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2934.jpeg
    IMG_2934.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2935.jpeg
    IMG_2935.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 50
Looks like a common physid snail. (These have acquired all manner of other names, but 'physid' should help your research).

Such snails are not necessarily an issue and, in your cycling process, they can contribute some ammonia for your beneficial bacteria to munch on.

Tanks that get over run with small snails do so because there's way too much excess organic material/waste lying around. When resources are good, the snails will successfully reproduce to take advantage. When resources are depleted, they'll usually diminish.*
Being more fastidious with your clean-up procedures and taking care not to overfeed will help manage any snail population, but at the moment, fret not.

*One forum member delights in telling us that he's overrun with Malaysian Trumpets, in spite of pristine tank care, so there's always an exception to almost any rule. ;)

Looks like a common physid snail. (These have acquired all manner of other names, but 'physid' should help your research).

Such snails are not necessarily an issue and, in your cycling process, they can contribute some ammonia for your beneficial bacteria to munch on.

Tanks that get over run with small snails do so because there's way too much excess organic material/waste lying around. When resources are good, the snails will successfully reproduce to take advantage. When resources are depleted, they'll usually diminish.*
Being more fastidious with your clean-up procedures and taking care not to overfeed will help manage any snail population, but at the moment, fret not.

*One forum member delights in telling us that he's overrun with Malaysian Trumpets, in spite of pristine tank care, so there's always an exception to almost any rule. ;)
So do you think I should give the tank a really good clean out to get rid of the smaller ones? Or just wait until it’s cycled to try and get rid of them? I live in Australia so getting my hands on straight ammonia isn’t necessarily easy, so I’m just using fish food (only a 10 gallon tank so it’s pretty easy to get the ammonia up with a bit of food and I’m guessing the snails are helping that too)

Agree they are pond or bladder snails as commonly known as.

Can be hard to get rid of these snails once you have them in the tank and laid eggs.

There are various methods you could try if you really don’t want them (they do have benefits to the tank but some folk just don’t like having snails) making a diy snail trap (lots online on making those, very simple) or catching them yourselves and eventually you get most of them with some patience or a assassin snail which predates on those pond snails is a way to keep snail numbers under control.

As already mentioned, good tank maintenance and keeping a close eye on the amount of fish food put into the tank will help as well.

These snails won’t affect the cycling process at all by the way.

So do you think I should give the tank a really good clean out to get rid of the smaller ones? Or just wait until it’s cycled to try and get rid of them? I live in Australia so getting my hands on straight ammonia isn’t necessarily easy, so I’m just using fish food (only a 10 gallon tank so it’s pretty easy to get the ammonia up with a bit of food and I’m guessing the snails are helping that too)
I'd leave them.

"Delights"?
Hardly...

Most reactions

Back