Any Computer Geeks On Here? - Router Problems

Jen

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I am having issues with my router. It is a router with both wired and wireless connections.

Basically, I lose my internet connection every minute. It's not enough to stop the net from loading, just to log me out of MSN. I can re-connect instantly. I tried bypassing the router, and going directly from the modem to my PC, and it stopped. Before we go out and buy a new one, is there anything I can do with the router to try and fix the problem?

Thanks,
Jen

I am having issues with my router. It is a router with both wired and wireless connections.

Basically, I lose my internet connection every minute. It's not enough to stop the net from loading, just to log me out of MSN. I can re-connect instantly. I tried bypassing the router, and going directly from the modem to my PC, and it stopped. Before we go out and buy a new one, is there anything I can do with the router to try and fix the problem?

Thanks,
Jen
You could try to reset your modem! i dont know what you have but there is often a "reset" switch in the area of the on/off button.

Are you having this problem when you connect to the router via a wireless connection or when you're wired to the router, or both?

I have the issue when I am wired. My dad's Mac is wireless, and he has been experiencing some problems, but not near as much as I am.

Have you checked the cable from the router to the modem, and it's power cable? It's a very odd problem.

What about doing a firmware update of the router? There'll be an option for this in the router's configuration pages.

Before buying a new router, can you borrow one to make sure it's your router?

If you buy a new one, make sure it's WPA compatible (not just WEP) for security.

Sorry I havn't been online since I asked the question, but as CEB quite rightly suggests you should check the cables first if you are wired into the router. That was what I was thinking when I asked the question.

I had a similar problem and it did turn out to be a dodgy cable, it was under the carpet in an old house and it had somehow work its way onto the carpet grippers, which shredded it, it would work fine for ages and then keep disconnecting.

Change the wire and see how you get on.

What router is it? Have you checked the stats and logs in the web admin? Is it losing synch to the exchange?

Aaron

Most reactions

Back