Anubias Planting

Cro-Baller

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I planted a few Anubias a few weeks ago by tieing/elastic banding them to bogwood, I was told by the LFS to do this. None of them have shown signs of rooting to the bogwood yet, so I'm wondering should they go in the substrate instead?

I planted a few Anubias a few weeks ago by tieing/elastic banding them to bogwood, I was told by the LFS to do this. None of them have shown signs of rooting to the bogwood yet, so I'm wondering should they go in the substrate instead?

Nope. Your LFS was right. If the elastic band is unattractive then switch to cotton thread or fishing line. Eventually it will attach itself well enough to not float around.

Nope. Your LFS was right. If the elastic band is unattractive then switch to cotton thread or fishing line. Eventually it will attach itself well enough to not float around.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have attached them both ways for different plants, I obviously haven't given them enough time yet. One of the plants roots are going round the bogwood and not into it, that's why I was getting a little unsure.

Yep,they don't go into the wood,they wrap around it and hold on like fingers.It can take weeks and weeks.

TYVM to you all.

One thing that fish keeping is teaching me is patience, nothing else has been able to do that. :rolleyes:

TYVM to you all.

One thing that fish keeping is teaching me is patience, nothing else has been able to do that. :rolleyes:

Anubias arent fully aquatic plants they need their leaves out of water or they will eventually suffocate and rot. :good: look them up on tropicos.org

TYVM to you all.

Anubias arent fully aquatic plants they need their leaves out of water or they will eventually suffocate and rot. :good: look them up on tropicos.org

Don't worry about this,anubias grow perfectly fully submerged and will do so for years and years,even flowering underwater.Many world class aquascapers use anubias.It is a fully aquatic plant.

TYVM to you all.

Don't worry about this,anubias grow perfectly fully submerged and will do so for years and years,even flowering underwater.Many world class aquascapers use anubias.It is a fully aquatic plant.

Amen.
It's true that in the wild it can be found in the mist of waterfalls but the water vapour around the plant is so much that it is incredibly similar to being submerged.

TYVM to you all.

Amen.
It's true that in the wild it can be found in the mist of waterfalls but the water vapour around the plant is so much that it is incredibly similar to being submerged.

not true.
Anubias ARE NOT fully aquatic plants, they need their leaves exposed to survive fully. also the inflorescence dosent last as long underwater, they sometimes rot off.

they can suffocate when fully submerged. they need to be able to exchange gasses!

correct they are not fully aquatic, but neither are 90% of the other plants we use!! Mot are marsh or bog plants, but anubias is full capable of surving in submerged conditions, and is an excellent plant for the begginer.

aquascaping_in_focus.jpg

front-img_5469-fixed2.jpg

mount_anubias.jpg

5150_2.jpg

even Amano himself uses anubias! I am pretty sure he wouldnt want any plants that would rot after a few weeks in his tanks ;)

TYVM to you all.

Amen.

not true.
Anubias ARE NOT fully aquatic plants, they need their leaves exposed to survive fully. also the inflorescence dosent last as long underwater, they sometimes rot off.

they can suffocate when fully submerged. they need to be able to exchange gasses!

Re-read what I said. I never said they were fully aquatic. Also, stating that they need their leaves exposed to survive is just hilarious because we countlessly seem them submerged and flourishing.

No,it was me that said it was fully aquatic,maybe I put it wrong but I just wanted to put op's mind at rest after reading that their anubias would suffocate and rot eventually.What I meant is it will survive and flourish fully SUBMERGED.

No,it was me that said it was fully aquatic,maybe I put it wrong but I just wanted to put op's mind at rest after reading that their anubias would suffocate and rot eventually.What I meant is it will survive and flourish fully SUBMERGED.

Na, not you mate. You are quite right. I was referring to "love4aquatic".

Any ways the way I get mine to stay on wood or rocks is with a mid size rock that holds it in place and eventualy it grows on the wood or rock. I think to tie it down would work better.

Most reactions

Back