Anti-Artificial?

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date
Sadly I think you find a certain amount of prejudice in many aspects of life. Some folks just seem that their way is the best way and if you aren't in their camp, you're just wrong.
I agree! This is so recognizable...

For example, I've come across some canister filter snobs.
This may be me. I would always recommend a canister filter over pretty much anything than a sump for most setups. I think part of the issue is people will always recommend what they know works and for me canisters in the majority of typical setups are the best solution. The problem is when people can't wrap their head around the fact that there is more than one way of doing things and and just because it works for them it might not work for someone else or someone else's solution might work just as well.
I've spent some time on a planted tank forum where high tech with gobs of ferts, bright light, and CO2 rules the day. Although some may object, I think these folks are more aquatic gardeners than they are fishkeepers.
As someone who tends to run their tanks this way I have had to deal with a lot of "anti CO2/ferts" nonsense from this forum. I have no issue with people saying it isn't necessary, it isn't and I have said as much myself in many threads.

However as someone that has spent a long time in the hobby with very healthy fish it is pretty annoying to have my fishkeeping knowledge and experience dismissed. It is perfectly possible to have both a hightech style tank and healthy fish and be knowledgeable about both. Also the attitudes of some that this style is definitely going to kill your livestock when there is years and years of evidence to the contrary is annoying as hell.

Sadly I think you find a certain amount of prejudice in many aspects of life. Some folks just seem that their way is the best way and if you aren't in their camp, you're just wrong.
Seems that way doesn't it.

I'm surprised to see a 4 month old post brought back...

This may be me. I would always recommend a canister filter over pretty much anything than a sump for most setups. I think part of the issue is people will always recommend what they know works and for me canisters in the majority of typical setups are the best solution.
Ah, but the canister filter is not the only game in town and really is best suited for larger tanks. There are many good HOB's, sponge filters, and even undergravel filters that are all still good filters in many situations. Sumps are great in some instances, but perhaps not most.
As someone who tends to run their tanks this way I have had to deal with a lot of "anti CO2/ferts" nonsense from this forum. I have no issue with people saying it isn't necessary, it isn't and I have said as much myself in many threads.
I tend to think that the closer we can imitate nature, the better for fish and high levels of CO2 and ferts don't exist there. I think high tech favors plants over fish and I'm a fishkeeper. Each to his/her own. :)

Most reactions

Back