Another stocking question

Jacob the tank keeper

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Okay so I finally got that large tank I've been dreaming of for the longest time, I was able to convince my parents on a larger tank so I now have a 48x18x18" tank, 67g.
I currently have some fish I've been keeping at my petshop's display tanks, I got a whole tank for myself there. I currently have 2 adult angels, 4 juvies, 18 congos (like 6-8 males and the rest females), 8 parkingson rainbows and a handful (like 6) halfbeaks.

With the current fish I have, will all be fine? Can I possibly add more congos? I can't get anymore rainbows as they've been sold out for a while, I doubt we'll restock too. I could get up to like 20 more congos if I wanted. The halfbeaks I can put them in a different tank if they won't fit in.

Halfbeaks need a tank of their own with slow moving water and lots of floating plants. Thery do best in water with a pH above 7.0 and some like a bit of salt. Check with @emeraldking for that.

You can breed rainbowfish easily. Some info at following link, if you need more specific, ask. Most rainbowfish do best in water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 150ppm (preferably around 200ppm).

Too many Congo tetras for that size tank. the Congos and rainbows are a bit too active for angelfish and will probably stress them. Congo tetras and angelfish do best in water with a H below 7.0 and a GH below 100pm.

-----------------

If rainbowfish are hard to get, take them and breed them. Flood the market and then get rid of the rainbows and get Congos if you still want them.

In a tank that size, with the growth potential of Congos in mind, I wouldn't go past 8 individuals. They thrive with moving water at the surface, especially if there is a small window of natural light early on. In slow water, they are less interesting.

I had an acquaintance with a tank the size of yours who positioned a powerhead water pump right at the surface for maximum agitation, and his Congos were superb.

The parkinsoni will live a bit lower down in the water column, and be fine. The angels? Hmm. It's an odd mix in terms of fish needs. I'm with colin on the halfbeaks. Neat fish, but that seems an unlikely mix.

Ohh, thanks! I will be moving my halfbeaks somewhere else then, would a 30 gal tall be fine for these halfbeaks? I will definitely try breeding rainbows.

Someone told me in a messenger group I could get like 30 if I wanted...

You can breed rainbowfish easily. Some info at following link, if you need more specific, ask. Most rainbowfish do best in water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 150ppm (preferably around 200ppm).

If rainbowfish are hard to get, take them and breed them. Flood the market and then get rid of the rainbows and get Congos if you still want them.
Oh and, how do I know if my rainbows are ready to breed? I actually have a mix of parkingson and crossing rainbows and I can't tell them apart... is it safe to cross them? I'll show you pics or vids tomorrow

Halfbeaks need a tank of their own with slow moving water and lots of floating plants. Thery do best in water with a pH above 7.0 and some like a bit of salt. Check with @emeraldking for that.
Yes, halfbeaks prefer slow moving water at the surface. Adding salt is a bit depending on which kind of halfbeak we're talking about. For it's not mentioned which type of halfbeak we're dealing with.

Yes, halfbeaks prefer slow moving water at the surface. Adding salt is a bit depending on which kind of halfbeak we're talking about. For it's not mentioned which type of halfbeak we're dealing with.
Unfortunately, I do not know the specifics as it is wild caught, however, I am pretty sure it is a halfbeak with the shape and that we can confirm it to be a livebearer. It doesn't have much color other than a blueish-grayish body. Caught here in the Philippines, It's probably introduced right? Then again, there's not much literature about the local fish here

Unfortunately, I do not know the specifics as it is wild caught, however, I am pretty sure it is a halfbeak with the shape and that we can confirm it to be a livebearer. It doesn't have much color other than a blueish-grayish body. Caught here in the Philippines, It's probably introduced right? Then again, there's not much literature about the local fish here
In Asia there are a couple of halfbeak species that are livebearers.

In Asia there are a couple of halfbeak species that are livebearers.
Not much documentation of halfbeak species here, there is the Philippine Snub-nosed halfbeak but it doesn't look like that, it looks closer to the wrestling halfbeak

We need pictures of the halfbeaks and rainbows to identify the species.

You don't want to cross breed rainbowfish because they produce fertile offspring and that screws up the true bloodlines.

I hope these are enough. They used to have more color when I personally kept them in 2fts (I was a beginner who knew nothing). They used to be more colored when I fed some good foods and lives. The workers at the shop said they'd take care of them but they've been feeding the cheapest foods available. Hence, the losing of coloration I think

Attachments

• IMG20231015151919.jpg
    IMG20231015151919.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG20231015151856.jpg
    IMG20231015151856.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG20231015151617.jpg
    IMG20231015151617.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG20231015151611.jpg
    IMG20231015151611.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG20231015151708.jpg
    IMG20231015151708.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG20231015151706.jpg
    IMG20231015151706.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG20231015151729.jpg
    IMG20231015151729.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG20231015151712.jpg
    IMG20231015151712.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG20231015151830.jpg
    IMG20231015151830.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 18
Normal Congo tetras have more colour than the albinos and lutinos.

The rainbowfish are hybrids and not worth keeping or breeding. If you haven't paid for them, just let the shop keep them.

The following link has all the known rainbowfishes from Australia and New Guinea and is written by one of the world authorities on the fish. Bookmark the link and use it to compare the fish you have.

Normal Congo tetras have more colour than the albinos and lutinos.

The rainbowfish are hybrids and not worth keeping or breeding. If you haven't paid for them, just let the shop keep them.

The following link has all the known rainbowfishes from Australia and New Guinea and is written by one of the world authorities on the fish. Bookmark the link and use it to compare the fish you have.
WE are the shop. Nah they had more color before... These were sold to us imported from Manila (our capital city) as Parkingson rainbows and Crossing rainbows, I'll try to find better pics.

If these really are hybrids, then I'll probably just order a more well known rainbow like boesemani... or Red. What would you recommend? something easy to breed too. And maybe other fish that can fit my current stock

Most reactions

Back