Another question..

Lorelei

Reaction score
Sorry to go on about this again, but I need guidance.

As I said earlier, the nitrite levels this morning were .25. I fed him a *teeny*tiny* bit of flake food, not near enough to sustain him but..... He's still swimming happily, albeit a little sideways, but he doesn't "look" stressed. However, after a 25% water change about two hours ago, the nitrite levels are still at .25. Should I do anything?

tempestuousfury said:
Obvious questions:

What size tank?
What fish?
What's wrong with the fish?
Sorry, I had posted all this below and just assumed everyone knew! (how arrogant of me eh?)

It's a ten gallon, with one little oranda about 2 inches long. Planted with four plants. I didn't cycle the tank as I had never heard of that before. I have lost six fish over the course of the last month (only ever had two in the tank at a time) and just found this site in the past two days. Got myself the Master Testing Kit and found my nitrites were off the charts. Am trying to help this last remaining fish through while the tank cycles. Sooo... now I am wondering what to do next...

Ok. Well, seeing as how goldfish produce more nitrogen-based waste than most common tropical fish, you're in somewhat of a jam.

However, your nitrite levels should soon stabilize if they haven't and then begin to fall. You seem to be near the end of the cycling period, so all you can do is perform daily water changes and hope for the best (or move the fish to a previously cycled tank).

Most reactions

Back