Another Cycling Question....but A Bit Different :)

alphadog1000

Reaction score
Firstly - Hello.....I'm new to TFF but have been reading avidly for a few weeks now and other forums but decided to register here because you all seem so nice, helpful and most important knowledgeable :)

I have always wanted an aquarium since I was young and so when someone at work offered there old tank for free I jumped at it....A Fruval 125L tank with heater, filter, substrate and fish - I was chuffed. Figured take him home, plug it in and I'm away! Since then I have learnt a lot and count myself incredibly lucky I only had two casualties (RIP).

But committed to the work of creating a beautiful and happy environment for my fish to live in (and me to look at!) so much so I've just ordered a brand spanking new aquarium - new substrate, filter, heater - the lot. This is where I'm a little stuck....I need to get the new tank ready to migrate my fish to their new home. So, I get my new filter tomorrow (tuesday) and the new tank on Saturday. I figure I can plug the new filter in to the old tank (so there would be two) to get the bacteria growing in it....is this a good idea? Figure you can't filter too much right?! Question is how long would I need to keep the setup like this before it would be ready to go into the new tank and be fish ready? I don't really have space to be able to run both for any length of time...In an ideal worl I want the filter to be ready, get the new tank all ready to go, get the fish in to a bucket, break down the old tank and replace with the new one and get the fish into it.....Am I being unrealistic?

Finally - as I'm new I thought I'd share a picture of my current tank for your pleasure! Been obsessed with some of the amazing aquascapes people create and planning on the new one being a work of art...of course will share pics :)

Thanks guys

07112010049.jpg

Do the 2 filters share similar media. If so the bacteria in the existing filter is already enough to process the ammonia your fish are producing so it should be ok to wait till the new tank comes. Setup the new tank and new filter. Then transfer all the media from the existing filter to the new filter. topping up with extra new media if neccesary. and just set it running.

Do the 2 filters share similar media. If so the bacteria in the existing filter is already enough to process the ammonia your fish are producing so it should be ok to wait till the new tank comes. Setup the new tank and new filter. Then transfer all the media from the existing filter to the new filter. topping up with extra new media if neccesary. and just set it running.

Good idea....Not sure, current filter is a Fluval 105 and new is the 205 so think so...will check

So looks like I can move some media over from the old filter. So that helps massively....

Even so how long should a new filter take in a live aqaurium before it is fish ready? Have both running now in the original tank and if only takes a few days then won't need to move the media around.

Thanks in advance.

Also, as a side note - do yo uknow where I can find some good driftwood online - want to build a tree like this legend: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gkRPpSJR-kQ/RkcT6Q6uaDI/AAAAAAAAAEY/uEoF2-PBGKY/s1600-h/faao2.jpg

Your old filter will be dealing with the ammonia so running them side by side will take months to mature the new filter. Since there will be little or no ammonia to feed the bacteria.

Thanks - Makes perfect sense and so obvious when you think about it! Turning off the old filter would be dangerous and could lead to an ammonia spike I guess?

So best off moving some media - do you think a just swapping a couple of sponges would do the job then?

Thanks

If you only transfer part of the media you will be doing sort of a mini fish in cycle with seeded filter and will have to keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite. If i was you i would transfer all of the media from the old filter into the new one.

1. Setup new tank.
2. Transfer all fish to new tank
3. switch off old filter and transfer all media to new filter topping up with extra where neccesary.
4. set new filter running in new tank.

This is the way i would do it but i don't know fluval filters so have no idea if this is viable. You want to avoid having your filter switched off for any sustained period if possible as the bacteria need flowing airated water to survive. This of course means that you would have to cycle the old tank if you wanted to do anything with it but i'm assuming your moving or decommisioning it.

Also nice aquascape. I'm good with the chemistry but my aquascaping is shocking.

Thank you for all your help and will do exactly as you suggest....Will add more to this post on the weekend after the new tank is up and running.

Off in search of some nice diftwood!

Most reactions

Back