Another Annoying Platy Question:p

little_betta_boy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is it ok to have platies in a tank with no heater if it stays around 19-20 degrees celcious?

Have a look under the livebearer guide at the top of the livebearer page. There is a section on the platy profile. This may answer some of your questions. :good:

OMG 30 mins and no answer!!!!!

Oh well use the search tool then it's quicker

OMG 30 mins and no answer!!!!!

Oh well use the search tool then it's quicker
your platies will be fine between 19-20 the temperature will fluctuate which is a good way of keeping fish. As in the wild the water does not stay the same temperature.

Okay thanks guys. do you think it'd be okay to keep 2 fry in a 2.5 gal?! (My girl Recently had babies so now i'm WAY over stalked :( :( )

Thanks, SiMoN

always amazes me how people just assume theres always someone on here to answe questions 24/7

Sorry...I was a bit stressed :blush: LOOOONG day

SiMoN

I would never keep tropical fish in a tank without a heater. Fluctuations in temp will cause illness.

I would never keep tropical fish in a tank without a heater. Fluctuations in temp will cause illness.

a fluctuate in temperature does not cause illness. If fish are kept correctly

First of all the question was is it okay to have platies in a tank with no heater if it stays around 19-20 degrees.
Yes they can be kept this way. As long as the room is kept warm to maintain the tank temperature however without a fish tank heater the water can fluctuate a few degrees. For example if the temperature is 21° in the evening and first thing in the morning is about 18° so roughly fluctuate about 3° or 4° this would do no harm to the fish and less chances of illness .platies are best kept above 18°
fish48

It's just important to remember that fish like stable conditions for their water. fish48 is right that the temperature itself doesn't cause illness, but the stress is adapting is what will do it. A gradual temperature change from daytime temperatures to nighttime temperatures will not harm fish. It's just dumping fish into a new tank without acclimating it to the temperature first or adding water to a tank with a huge variation in degrees that will stress out a fish, leaving it open to illness.

Most reactions

Back