Angels Preparing To Breed (i Think?)

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Garlic won't do anything to them either. The levamisole hydrochloride should work, no sure about Fenbendazole

O.k: I was about to get some Garlic solution to help; Apparantly, Jack Wattley used Garlic method over a period of a few weeks.
I guess the L.Hydrocloride will be more effective! ...It works best when PH is below 7.0.

Not sure to treat the Angel seperately, or treat whole tank? (He's only been in for 36hrs so hope it has not spread yet)

>Off to contact local 'Fish-Doctor' guy...

if the angelfish has been in the tank for more than a few minutes it will have released young worms or eggs into the water. And chances are most fish have it anyway so you are better off just treating the entire tank. Then at least you know the fish are free of worms from them on.

If you can quarantine new fish before addingthem to the tank you can treat them for worms during the quarantine period.

The Levamisole Hydrochloride will work in acid or alkaline water. Most of my tanks were highly alkaline(8.0+) and it worked a treat.
Make sure you do a 50% water change 24hours after treating with it. And re-treat the tank a week later, followed by another water change.

if the angelfish has been in the tank for more than a few minutes it will have released young worms or eggs into the water. And chances are most fish have it anyway so you are better off just treating the entire tank. Then at least you know the fish are free of worms from them on.

If you can quarantine new fish before addingthem to the tank you can treat them for worms during the quarantine period.

The Levamisole Hydrochloride will work in acid or alkaline water. Most of my tanks were highly alkaline(8.0+) and it worked a treat.
Make sure you do a 50% water change 24hours after treating with it. And re-treat the tank a week later, followed by another water change.

Thanks again> Local Vets are able to order some in for Tuesday, in meantime I've found some via t'internet for 7pounds (500ml bottle)
Do you think/know if C.loaches/ GlassCats will be O.k with it?

Levamisole Hydrochloride is fine with all fish including catfish, loaches and other scaleless fish.

You must do a partial (40-50%) water change 24 hours later otherwise small fish like neon tetras start to have problems and become nervous and skittish. If you still don't do a water change then the small fish might start to die after a few days. But as long as you do a partial water change 24 hours later they will all be fine.

Levamisole is available in different concentrations. Depending on which concentration you have will determine how much you use.
The one I use contains 32g/l of Levamisole, and I use 5ml of that per 10litres of tank water.

To work out the volume of water in the tank
measure Length x Width x Height in cm
divide by 1000
equals volume in litres

When meausuring the height, measure from the top of the gravel to the top of the water level. If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove them before measuring the height.

Remove carbon from the filter bfore treating otherwise it will absorb the medication out of the water.

My tank is 170L (with decor removed)

The smallest bottle available is 500ml so that will cover the two treatments (week 1 & 2) and have plenty for any future treatments... I'm So glad that it is fine with Loaches/GlassCats!

The only small fish are 6 mature Rummy-Nose Tetras.

Is it correct that you keep lights off whilst treating??

Wish I'd seen the red-hairs before buying, but hey-ho I will do upmost to get rid of the blighters+ it will be good to have de-wormer at hand in future.

Your Advice has been greatly appreciated ColinT. :good:

it doesn't make any difference if you have the lights on or off.

keep the Levamisole somewhere cool because it breaks down quickly in hot conditions. I keep mine in the fridge.

Most reactions

Back