Angels + Cichlids?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

paradiddle

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Unless I'm wrong aren't they compatible?
If so which angels can go with mixed Malawi (only cichlids my lfs sells)

Angels are Cichlids..
I would definitely not mix them, with anything apart from possibly Discus -even then it should only be done by someone who knows what they're doing.

Ill pass for a first go at cichlids then! Haha thanks!

To clarify, I suspect you're using the term cichlids to mean African rift valley cichlids, which isn't unusual in that sub group of fishkeeping. The term actually refers to a vast selection of fish scattered across the continents living in all sorts of water types.

The water type is the incompatibility here, African rift cichlids tend to inhabit water at the harder extremes of the water we use, wheras angels are very much soft water by preference. Angels, particularly the farm bred ones we see a lot of in the hobby, are versatile nowadays as to water type, but not to that degree generally. Also the temperament difference between the two would make for a short lived angel fish I suspect, unless it was a lot bigger than the African cichlids, in which case it'd probably go the other way.

Just to back the other posters up;

Malawi cichlids tend to be on the aggressive side (some not so much, but some are really viscous). They do be best in biotype set ups, with just other Malawis. Angels would be ripped to shreds!

Angels and Malawis also need totally different water and tank set ups. Angels (which are cichlids, as Sophie pointed out!) want tannin stained, soft acidic water, with bogwood and possibly some tall plants.

Malawis want lots of rock piles in a tank with hard, alkaline water.

Hope that helps for the future
smile.png

Edit; lol, Rob's a faster typer than me
wink.png

Too many hours in front of a computer. I now type nearly as fast as our secretaries. Although I don't spell as well as they do while I'm doing it.

Definitely a bad idea.

Cichlids are agressive. and angels are cichlids.

My bet would be skip the cichlids. Unless they are South American: rams, acaras, etc.

ok?

The only cichlids I can get from my lfs is mixed Malawi so that's what I'll go with, just them no others

paradiddle said:
The only cichlids I can get from my lfs is mixed Malawi so that's what I'll go with, just them no others

no dont. they need very different ph. hardness and kH.

Like...?
My ph is 8.2, my tap water is harder than most and tests for ammonia, nitrite etc all read 0 this morning so I'm on my way to get fish

What angels in 8.2???

maan!!!

Dont!! it will make your taNK a living hell for the angels and cichlids. They werent meant to be put together!!! Trust me. I made the same mistake 4 years ago!!

DerpPH said:
What angels in 8.2???

maan!!!

Dont!! it will make your taNK a living hell for the angels and cichlids. They werent meant to be put together!!! Trust me. I made the same mistake 4 years ago!!

I don't think he actually has the Angels already..
He was on about getting the Malawi Cichlids by themselves which seems like the correct conditions in that pH and water hardness?
He wasn't directly ignoring the advice.

Calm down :/

The mixed African tanks aren't always Best kept together because sometimes they are haps sometime Mbunas. Sometimes accidental cross breeding from someones show tank and hard to say how well they will work. You might want to consider ordering online from a breeder. Also if you are relying on only LFS for everything I'll point out that the vast majority of stores don't keep proper Mbuna(herbivore Malawi cichlids). Once you pick up your fish.. I would post up pics of them to see if we can to some degree identify what you have. 
8.2 is great for Malawis.

Most reactions

Back