Angelfish Stocking

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm the new guy

Reaction score
I have a 46 gallon bow front aquarium. Will this stocking idea work? 3 angelfish, 1 red tail shark, 1 bristle-nose pleco, and 10 cardinal tetras. The tank will be cycled before I put any fish in it. My main concern is the shark being aggressive to my other fish. Do not worry about the tetras being a snack to my angelfish I am experienced with angelfish and the cardinals wouldn't be a snack. If the shark is not compatible what would be that is a bottom dweller?

I thought about corys,but I have a lot of them in other tanks. I'm kind of bored of them and want something different. That's why I want a red tail. Do you think a red tail would work?

I have never kept one myself but my opinion would be that a fast swimming fish in with slow moving angels would be a bad idea. The RTS doesn't just stay around the bottom but swims in mid-levels too, right where the angels would be.

Just my 2 cents :)

If you are experienced with Angel fish then why are you planning on keeping a group of 3? If a pair form then the other will be bullied... :rolleyes:

RTS are too aggressive imo and would need a bigger tank due to their activity levels. There has also been reports of them taking chunks out of deep bodied fish such as Angels, Discus, SD's etc.

Ruby Sharks are a better option, but would still need a bigger tank. Some True Siamese Algae Eaters would work.

Rainbow sharks tend to be a little less aggressive in my experience. What about hoplo or porthole cats?

If you are experienced with Angel fish then why are you planning on keeping a group of 3? If a pair form then the other will be bullied... :rolleyes:

RTS are too aggressive imo and would need a bigger tank due to their activity levels. There has also been reports of them taking chunks out of deep bodied fish such as Angels, Discus, SD's etc.
If a pair does form they will be removed from the 46 gallon and placed into my 30. Then i would add more angelfish to my 46.

Ok, I think it has been determined that red tails are out of the question. Any other options would be appreciated.

The lone Angel won't take kindly to newcomers being added though. Not an exact science, but fairly common for it to happen.

I am aware of that, but have never had any problems with it. In my experience the existing angel chases the new angel for a day or two and then stops.

I do not want this topic to turn into a debate about angelfish keeping. I may be wrong about some things, but that's why I post, to learn. All I am asking is what fish besides the ones that are already listed would go well with angelfish in a 46 gallon bow. I would prefer the fish to be somewhat large, bottom dweller, and not another pleco.

Hiya
I would recommend hancock's talking catfish or the hoplo, both personality plus fish. Alternatively, the pims pictus is delightful, especially when kept in a shoal of 5 -7, very entertaining but quite fast moving so you may need to research further the compatibility with angels. Failing finding the right catfish, there are always the loach family ie: yo yos, zebras etc

Happy fish hunting :fun:

How do you keep the neons from being a snack for the angels?

Any tricks?

Most reactions

Back