rascalodie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my female angelfish, Bob; she has had these 2 white bumps on her for about 3 months. There is one on her caudal fin and one on her left pectoral fin, close to her “armpit.” They have not spread or changed in size. I have not seen her once flashing or trying to rub them off. Over this time, we have treated for ich with Ich X, raised the temperature to 86, AND used the UV sterilizer. These bumps did not disappear and did not spread. I also have 2 white cloud minnows and 2 botia loaches and they all do not have these bumps. Next, I treated for epistylis with kanaplex with food and lowering the temperature to 78 F.Apparently, you’re supposed to lower it to 70 F, but I didn’t want to cause additional stress to Bob with a drastic temperature change. I figured the kanaplex would do most of the legwork. The last thing that I have not tried is doing a salt dip for epistylis or any protozoan parasite this MIGHT be. Bob does not handle being transported well, so I don’t know if this is worth trying because of the stress. I might be acting overly cautious because Bob is generally happy and not stressed; she eats well, is very active, and her color and form are all in good condition. We are looking to upgrade her tank size because she has outgrown it. I suppose this might be a cause of stress and maybe those bumps as a sort of secondary infection from low level stress. Overall, Bob seems healthy, but it’s frustrating not knowing what these bumps are and why they haven’t responded to treatment. One more thing— Bob seems to be very slightly tilted on her left when upright. I do not know if this is because the tank is physically too small, or if it’s pathological. I don’t entirely buy that it’s the former because she does have enough vertical room to be completely upright. However, this is my first angelfish I have kept, so perhaps she really doesn’t have enough space. Either way, I’m planning on upgrading. Any insight would be helpful here, thanks.

Specs:

Cycled 23.5 gal with Fluval 207 Canister Filter + In-Line UV Sterilizer (looking to upgrade in size)

Temperature: 78 F

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
pH: 7.2
GH: 180 ppm* (may be higher, the test strip read 180 as the highest value)
KH: 80 ppm

*tap water is hard water
IMG_1245.jpeg
IMG_1261.jpeg
IMG_1248.jpeg
IMG_1256.jpeg
IMG_1257.jpeg
IMG_1245.jpeg
IMG_1261.jpeg
IMG_1248.jpeg
IMG_1256.jpeg
IMG_1257.jpeg
IMG_1259.jpeg
IMG_1260.jpeg

It's one of the nicest angels I've seen on the forum. And to me, those look like cysts, probably from old injuries. They often have them, and they're harmless.

It's one of the nicest angels I've seen on the forum. And to me, those look like cysts, probably from old injuries. They often have them, and they're harmless.
Wow! That’s quite a statement, and it sure makes me happy to be at least partially responsible for her beauty! I actually purchased her at a LFS thinking she was a male. I will definitely look into this more. It is either cysts as you say or something viral (someone on a different forum suggested this), since I covered all the parasitic, fungal, and bacterial bases. Thank you for your response 👍 I really appreciate it.

Fin cysts sit on the rays, directly. usually, a bite fractured the ray, and that develops as a result.

The pectoral would worry me more, but it's also a common injury spot. Viral fish pox things are all over the body.

Young angels have ways of hurting each other. But your angel has wild type colouration, and real quality wild type fin length. A lot of badly bred domestic forms have huge bodies and stumpy fins. Your angel is elegant.

Nearly all ciclids and a lot of other will start to aim at the gills of their opponent as soon as it starts to have difficulty. defending self.

Operculum scratches and broken fin "ribs" are witness to attacks occurrences.

Fishes with pectoral fin damages are often "gill targeted" and use their fins to protect their gills in addition to being able to close operculums.

Tetra's and barbs do it all the time.

Edit: A lot of incidents are sucker punches.

Most reactions

Back