angelfish is sideways and floating at the top, refusing to eat

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

spectre_sss

Reaction score
hello today i found my angelfish stuck in between the wall and the sponge filter, and when I freed her, she floated onto her side. she also had a large reddish spot on her forehead. I suspect that this fish and my other one fought each other before and this one lost. I did some research but found nothing helpful. I suspected swimming bladder disorder, but she did not try to eat when i fed her fish flakes. i did a small water change and also added some aquarium salt. but it’s been twelve hours since and i am very concerned. the tank is around five gallons big but my fish is still a baby. her body size is around one and a half inch long and with fins she’s probably three inches most. the other fish is another female who is about the same size. her fins are a tad bit longer. the sideways fish’s forehead has also started to like peel. please help. i don’t want my fish to die.

(i plan on moving my fish to a bigger tank after i move. there is a separate 20 gallon tank with my other eight angelfish. i moved them because i thought they weren’t getting enough oxygen cause they kept going up for air and gasping)

A 20 gallon is much much too small for 10 angelfish
will definitely be moving them to bigger tank(s) however we will be moving in about a year to a new house and bringing several big tanks on a road trip orbiting new tanks doesn’t seem ideal. perhaps I will get another 20 gallon tank and separate them 5 and 5.

I'm no expert with Angelfish but I'm pretty sure for a bonded pair of angelfish you would need a 55 gallon and for a small group you would need a 75 gallon.
thank you for the information i will keep it in mind but you seem to be missing my point. how do i cure my sideways angelfish

How much salt did you add? I suggest a 75% water change. Depending on how much salt you added, you may need to add more. The rule of thumb is to have a total of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. Dissolve the salt in a jar of tank water , let it dissolve and then distribute it into the filter outflow and around the perimeter of the tank.

Angelfish do need a bigger tank. I had my single angelfish in a 35 gallon tall hex tank along with 4 black skirt tetras and a few harlequin rasboras.

The second angel in that tank will very possibly pick on the sick angelfish . I would either move the sick angelfish to a quarantine tank or move the other angelfish to the other tank.

You need much larger tanks very soon as others suggested.

Last edited:
How much salt did you add? I suggest a 75% water change. Depending on how much salt you added, you may need to add more. The rule of thumb is to have a total of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. Dissolve the salt in a jar of tank water , let it dissolve and then distribute it into the filter outflow and around the perimeter of the tank.

Angelfish do need a bigger tank. I had my single angelfish in a 35 gallon tall hex tank along with 4 black skirt tetras and a few harlequin rasboras.

The second angel in that tank will very possibly pick on the sick angelfish . I would either move the sick angelfish to a quarantine tank or move the other angelfish to the other tank.

You need much larger tanks very soon as others suggested.
thank you very much. i just finished my water change and i really REALLY hope i did not put in too much salt. that. would be a disaster.

I have a 1 perfect angel in a 30 gal with lots of other tank mates so don't worry. Your tank is too small right now, but don't heed the doom merchants who say min 50 gal.
Regular water changes
Good filter
Don't over feed
Some floating plants will be good.
Although I think yr fish is done for from what iv here'd .
If you have a fish near point of death, then meds n massive water changes will stress you and remaining fish so don't bother. Accept the fact that you don't have a balance and try to improve.
I'm not being harsh, it's just my opinion after all. Good luck.

I have a 1 perfect angel in a 30 gal with lots of other tank mates so don't worry. Your tank is too small right now, but don't heed the doom merchants who say min 50 gal.
Regular water changes
Good filter
Don't over feed
Some floating plants will be good.
Although I think yr fish is done for from what iv here'd .
If you have a fish near point of death, then meds n massive water changes will stress you and remaining fish so don't bother. Accept the fact that you don't have a balance and try to improve.
I'm not being harsh, it's just my opinion after all. Good luck.
good advice:’(

I'll throw in my 2¢. I have a pair of angel fish in a 40g along with a few black neon tetras and corydoras. However, in the 20g I would be checking the water parameters, especially ammonia levels. Regarding the sick angel, Guppy10 has the best advice.

Most reactions

Back