Angel in Trouble

Tazman12

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys I have 4 angels in a 50 gallon tank with a 5 small cories and 4 otos

I just got back from holidays I've been away for 2 weeks

Had a friend tend to the light feeding(only once a day)

three of the 4 angels are doing great just like they were before I left

The larger of the 4 is not eating he stays by himself hiding does not come around like he use to when I approach the tank.

I'm getting a little worried I have had him for about 11 months and he was the size of a quarter when I got him.

I increased the amount of air in the tank today but don't know what else I could do

Please help and thanks

Have you checked the water parameters?
How about a partial water change? Done that? I'd suggest that right off the top of my head because you've been away and anything could have happened.

yes I checked all the parameters of the tank they were all good.

I normally do a 25% water change every 10 days

As soon as I got back last night I did a 25% water change and increased the air flow into the tank

He has not eaten at all last night and this morning

I'm really worried

Any other idea's

have you tried tempting him with his favorite food, or something live or frozen. Angels will often go on hunger strikes if something puts them off a bit. I have seen angels go 5 days without eating a bite only to come back around. If you try live food and he still doesnt come around then watch him carefully and keep us posted. :)

My angel starting acting just like that and come to find out he was being picked on by the other angels..Sneak and watch your tank don't let the other fish see you looking and you can tell in a hurry if that is what is going on...IF your water is ok and no signs of illness anywhere..Then that is the only thing left.

I’ve had angels behave that way before, and if it was not due to aggressivness it was due to hexamita, an intestinal protozoan. Even with mating/pairing behavior they would call a sort of truce at feeding time,all get together & eat, and when done return to their aggressiveness. Take a look at the affected fish’s feces, if it is white & stringy that is what I would suspect. Another sign is hiding towards the back bottom of the tank facing the back or a rear corner. If that is the case, pick up some hex-a-mit or other medication with metronidazole. The powered form works best as you can mix it with their food once they do begin to eat, and this is when it really gets to the problem.

Tolak

That is good advice Tolak that was going to be my second suggestion but truly I think it is being picked on myself.. Please let us know if he starts to act better..

Yep looks like he has hexamita. Here are his symptoms

hides at the top back corner very often
Does not eat (3 days now)
white stringny poop
not as active as he normally is

Looks like I will lose this one.

this will be a very sad day.

I will leave nature take its course I guess

thanks for all your input guys

Looks like I will lose this one.

this will be a very sad day.

I will leave nature take its course I guess

What??!!

Why aren't you going to try to medicate him? He's not a goner yet!
Follow Tolak's advice.

Please give that poor fish some medicine and save him.. Dont just leave it for nature to save.. I have tried that with nature and they die everytime.

I have checked with my LFS He is very knowledgable with Angels he has had them for over 35 yrs.

this is what he said the med's for Hexamita do not work

He was willing to sell me some but he said he has not herd of it ever working.

I respect his opinion I have dealt with this LFS for YRS and he is a angel pro

Looks like I will loose him, he also has clamped fins

Very sad day

I wish these med's would work alot better and stop trying to make easy cash.

Anyways I hope this will be fast

Hey Taz, some things work for a lot of people, some things don't. I've saved 3 angels using metro so far, one is the female in a pair that is spawning every 9 days for me right now. I'd be a fool not to try and save a F1 wild, so I took the advice of the breeder who I got a number of angels from, who supplies many lfs in n.w suburban Chicago, and has for around 15 years. It works.

In this hobby there are a lot of different opinions on how to do things, and many times what works for one person will not work for another. Try going to a few more shops, and see what their take on the situation is. Bet you get enough opinions to get your head spinning. It's happened to me, and sometimes it's tough to sort things out when that happens.

Personally I would medicate the fish. The meds are cheaper than a new fish, and after you save him he (or she) just may turn out to be one of your favorites, end up being half of a pair, or something equally cool.

Tolak

Most reactions

Back