Angel fish are actually fighting tonight… you would think they were Beta Splendens…

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
They are the two who have been together over a year, who have grown apart lately… maybe the hotter temperatures, since adding the new gold nuggets… but don’t want either to get too beat up… will probably move the smaller one tomorrow…

Last edited:

Angel fish are actually fighting tonight… you would think they were Beta Splendens…​

They are cichlids. If you want peaceful community tanks, avoid cichlids. And betta 😉

Never forget angels are cichlids first, for all their long fins. They can fight even unto death especially if both are male. Regardless of gender, the larger will push around the smaller around. If both are female, fewer fights will likely happen.

Long ago we were given 2 angels, both female. They happily laid eggs every 2 weeks. They even pretended to "fertilize" the eggs. Then caviar snacks for both. We got a small male & no matter how he flirted, they went their own way. They didn't hurt him, they knew he was young & dumb. But he was shooed away from the filter tube egg laying area. No eggs for him! But no breeding either.

Years later we were given 6 angels. 2 paired up & had fry. They took up almost 3 feet of a 4 ft tank, everyone else was crammed into the "other" area. Then when the fry became free swimmers, they carefully spit them, 1 at a time, into the filter intake! It was horrifying to watch but we didn't want to raise babies.

The number one rule for a Cichlid is to protect the children, or to protect the preparations for making children. That can get twisted in a confined space, but it is their strongest drive. When it does get twisted, it's generally on us for something we set up wrongly.

That makes every individual Cichlid a time bomb of sorts. When the hormones hit, so will the drive. Sometimes they pair, and two will be happy together. Otherwise, you often end up in a situation where each Cichlid can need its own tank, unless the tank is huge. Few tanks are.

I very rarely combine Cichlid species. When I do, it's with a Plan B. If it doesn't work, then it'll call for 2 tanks. Angels are one of the hardest to predict. They do get very violent, but they don't have a traditional turf. The opposite is Malawi mbuna, where crowded habitats have made them develop a constant low grade battle lifestyle. You can crowd them. Angels in a fishtank are a problem.

There are some milder Cichlids, where only individuals sometimes get rough. Pelvicachromis kribensis, Apisto borellii, or pucallpaiensis, and some other odd Cichlids will come to understandings. I had a pair of then "Steatocranus" irvinei in a tank with Chromidotilapia guentheri, and both species raised babies together apart. There was an invisible line in the tank neither species crossed. I've only seen that once.

Hey, you can keep male bettas together in large enough tank, though they'll have shredded fins and some may be eventually killed. If one tiny thing goes wrong, it's awful what happens. The next time I'm on a forum and someone announces they've done this and it's worked for 3 weeks won't be the first. The original posters in those threads vanish pretty quickly when their fish start to vanish first.

Angels live together in groups in nature. Give me a few billion gallons and I'll make that work. It'll be lovely. In a 75 gallon, I have kept angels together for up to a year. And then, the removal to other tanks starts. It's often how you get a pair. It's also often how you get Multiple Tank Syndrome and end up with a collection of lovely tanks.

I had 12 angels in a 75 gallon tank from the time they were juveniles (see the posts from that build journal here). They were very friendly for months, but once they got to adult size, they started to pick at each other some, but not too bad. Finally I got a confirmed pair and decided I should sell some of the others.

I did (and I had a tragic incident where a few died), but even as I worked on getting them sold at my club's auction, they didn't try to destroy each other- just picked at each other. Fins were mostly intact, etc.

Now I am down to 3. One pair and a male that was able to evade my net so well that I let him stay. The pair stay mostly on one end of the tank and the male on the other, although they do comingle to feed, etc. and generally leave each other alone.

Maybe it's because they grew up together? Not sure, but it worked out pretty well. NOTE: I have TONS of plants in that tank, so plenty of breaks in line of sight.

I see HUGE behavioral differences between fish I raised together from very small, and larger but immature ones I buy. I've always sold all the young angels I raised (nowhere to keep them) but if I ever go the angel route again with nice wild types, and they breed, I may try that.

These particular 2, had been together since they were about an inch

Most reactions

Back