An Old Friend Died Today, And It Feels Pretty Awful

Term`

Reaction score
had a Pleco for roughly 14 years and came home today to see that he/she had died during the day.
Its wierd but has anyone else had a fish die that they actually really cared about ?  I dont know if its normal to feel like this, but I am really really upset by it.

I dont even know what type or sex the fish was,  but the tank will never be the same now,

there were no signs at all before it died to suggest illness, 
but now due to the body being in the water for most of the day the water is cloudy,  I have done a large water change,  is there anything else I should do ?

sorry for the strange nature of this post,  but I am really quite upset to have lost this fish after so long, and without warning
sad.png

most recent pic taken roughly 2 yrs ago

1231645.jpg

a far older pic,  but one I liked

316t1l1.jpg

S/he was beautiful! Just keep doing water changes until the stats are normal.

We have also had a some fish die over the years that we were very attached to. It's not wierd at all. We become very attached to them and they are members of our families. It was very hard when our first Jack Dempsey died. It was worse for us because he died from our mistake. (We had used the wrong type of silicone on a new cave for him. Live and learn.)

I'm sorry for your loss.

It's not remotely weird. These are your pets, you're supposed to get attached to them. Plecs seem to bring that sort of reaction out in people anyway. Might be one of the reasons I don't have any though. Too emotionally scarred over the years. That and they can be huge or expensive.

Agreed on the water changes until the stats settle, although I suspect it shouldn't take too long. Good practice to check everything if there's an unexpected death anyway though.

So sorry for your loss.
She/he was a stunner.
I get attached to my fish as well. They are pets, each with a personality.
Sorrow didn't post sooner, but avoid this section, I love plecs but don't have tank space.

With fish like that ( large and alone ) its almost impossible to not feel down when it dies, especially when you've had it for so long. R.I.P large Pleco.

thanks guys,  makes me feel better, 
sadly our cat died a couple of days ago too,  so its been a tough few weeks :(

Most reactions

Back