An Incredibly Sad Story Of Fish Abuse...

With lots of money in their pockets. Unfortunately, just like died fish, there are people that will buy them and as long as there are they will continue to sell them. As Tokis mentioned, it most likely isn't illegal. Fish just aren't thought of as animals like dogs, cats, etc. Most people couldn't care less about fish and to the best of my knowledge, there is still no scientific proof that fish can feel pain as we do. Is it cruel? Absolutely. But there probably isn't anything that can be done about it other than complain to the manager or owner. The authorities most likely aren't going to get involved.

it has been proven that fish dont feel pain, they feel pressure changes. their nerve endings do not conduct pain, they conduct pressure.

I can't imagine that's legal... I see you are in Canada - can you notify the humane society or equivalent?

Also - I bet if you told the lfs that you would notify someone they would stop buying them... if you wanted to do it by phone to remain anonymous it would probably work too. I don't mean be aggressive; just tell them that it's probably not legal and you'll be contacting authorities. That will stop them from buying these poor fish. It won't stop the practice but if the lfs's won't buy them it's a start.

Actually, it's legal. You would be surprised at what you can get away with over here :rolleyes:

With lots of money in their pockets. Unfortunately, just like died fish, there are people that will buy them and as long as there are they will continue to sell them. As Tokis mentioned, it most likely isn't illegal. Fish just aren't thought of as animals like dogs, cats, etc. Most people couldn't care less about fish and to the best of my knowledge, there is still no scientific proof that fish can feel pain as we do. Is it cruel? Absolutely. But there probably isn't anything that can be done about it other than complain to the manager or owner. The authorities most likely aren't going to get involved.

it has been proven that fish dont feel pain, they feel pressure changes. their nerve endings do not conduct pain, they conduct pressure.

afishdude:
I am not trying argue but am curious about the fish not feeling pain idea. Where did you read this research? Any books or links or scientific papers you could refer me too? I am a Biology major so this idea interests me...

afishdude:
I am not trying argue but am curious about the fish not feeling pain idea. Where did you read this research? Any books or links or scientific papers you could refer me too? I am a Biology major so this idea interests me...

As far as i know, its been proven that some of the large coldwater freshwater fish can feel pain, but they do not feel pain throughout every part of their body, and that the research suggests that different types of fish are more advanced than others with the amount of pain they can feel etc.

The scientific research results on whether fish feel pain or not;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2983045.stm

So to answer the question, do fish feel pain? Yes and No.

Yuck! That's horrible.

The people in the fish shop might not know what is involved. First step -- explain it to the person responsible for buying in the fish that they sell, in as calm and polite a fashion as you can manage. If you're shy of doing this in person, a well-thought-through letter to the manager might do the trick. Give them a chance to agree to stop stocking them.

If they don't, and you feel very strongly about it, maybe you should put together a leaflet of some sort, then send them one and explain that you will be handing them out at the entrance to the store unless they stop buying the fish. Also mention that you will be sending it in to your local paper with some pictures of the fish in the store. If it's a slow news day (not too many cats up trees!) they might pick it as their "animal" story of the day! No shop wants that kind of bad publicity.

As far as the fish feeling pain thing goes... I know there are various interesting debates about how they feel it, but it doesn't make much sense to me that any animal would have evolved completely without such a useful danger-alert mechanism. I think that it's up there with the "3 second memory" idea... bit of an urban myth.

Hope you can make a bit of a difference!

afishdude:

As far as i know, its been proven that some of the large coldwater freshwater fish can feel pain, but they do not feel pain throughout every part of their body, and that the research suggests that different types of fish are more advanced than others with the amount of pain they can feel etc.

The scientific research results on whether fish feel pain or not;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2983045.stm

So to answer the question, do fish feel pain? Yes and No.

Interesting article! Thanks tokis.

Out of curiosity, where in Canada are you? I'm in Ontario, and would be interested in finding out how to report these people. Maybe to wildlife people? I will try to find some info.

I found This website, but havent been able to look all the way through to see where it is, I'm at work lol. But maybe try there?

Most reactions

Back