Amonia....

london_kev

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi so i read that someone used ammonia from boots.... is this ok..?

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Household-ammonia-500ml_923908/?CAWELAID=334516103&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engines-_-Google%20Base-_---_-Boots%20Household%20ammonia%20%20500ml

That's the stuff :good:

How would you reccomend to use it..? any quick guide...?

You need to add enough to your tank for it to be 4ppm. If you click on the calculator at the top of the page you can type in your tank's dimensions and it'll tell you the voluime, then, further down the page, you input the volume and it'll tell you how much you need to put in.

Then you test every day (well, leave it a few days for some bacteria to get in there!) until the ammonia goes down.

That's the first bit of the fishless cycle :)

You need to add enough to your tank for it to be 4ppm. If you click on the calculator at the top of the page you can type in your tank's dimensions and it'll tell you the voluime, then, further down the page, you input the volume and it'll tell you how much you need to put in.

Then you test every day (well, leave it a few days for some bacteria to get in there!) until the ammonia goes down.

Thanks,

I used the calculator and it said that i need 5ppm... what does ppm stand for?...how do i meassure that..

Thanks,

I used the calculator and it said that i need 5ppm... what does ppm stand for?...how do i meassure that..
PPM stands for parts per million, you measure it with your test kit if you have one, if you don't I recommend the Salifert test kits, they can be bought cheaply and you'll require one for ammonia, one for nitrite, one for nitrate (not entirely necessary but if you're new to the hobby get one) and PH. Some test kits give readings in Mg/L which is the same as Parts per million.

ppm = parts per million.

Scrol right down to the bottom of the page and there's a box called 'fishless cycling - ammonia required'.

Type in the volume of your tank and it'll tell you how many mls of ammonia to add.

If it's a very small tank you might need to pop along to your local chemist and get a plastic syringe for measuring it out, as it'll be such a small amount. Or you can guess it and do an ammonia test to check you've got the right amount; if you have the ammonia too high you'll get the wrong sort of bacteria growing.

ppm = parts per million.

Scrol right down to the bottom of the page and there's a box called 'fishless cycling - ammonia required'.

Type in the volume of your tank and it'll tell you how many mls of ammonia to add.

If it's a very small tank you might need to pop along to your local chemist and get a plastic syringe for measuring it out, as it'll be such a small amount. Or you can guess it and do an ammonia test to check you've got the right amount; if you have the ammonia too high you'll get the wrong sort of bacteria growing.

Is it normal for the water to go a bit cloudy when adding 4ppm of ammonia...?

Ummm...I honestly have no idea...is this a good time to confess I've never actually done a fishless cycle using ammonia?

:blush:

Lol... ok so has anyone cycled their tank with ammonia...?

Loads of people on here have (I started fishkeeping in 'the bad old days'; I have fishless cycled, but only with fish food); one of them will be along shortly, I'm sure :good:

Most reactions

Back