Amonia Sensor

FanOFish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I bought a small sensor thing that attaches to the inside of my tank with a suction cup. It looks like a small dart board with four colors around the outside of a circle that turns colors to indicate the level of amonia in your tank.

Each color around the outside tells you if the amonia level is safe all the way to deadly.

When I first bought it the color was light green indicating some amonia in my tank and the water was a tad cloudy. I did a 20% water change as well as added a second medium that fights amonia to my filter.

Within days the water cleared up and the circle turned yellow indicating good.

Has anyone else used one of these and do you think they are reliable? Each day I glance at the circle to make sure it's yellow.

Thanks

i use two, one on my 55 gallon and one on my 10. they work pretty well. they start off at green anyways, for about 2 days. it says that on the card. i have the seachem ones. sounds like the same one you have. they do work. i was able to watch the cycle in my 10 gallon tank. i tested with my kit and the dial was right on. they last about a year, but i think they are worth every penny.

I also use the Seachem ones.

I got one to try it out and checked it against a test kit - all the indications seemed good.

I now have one on each of my tanks right next to the thermometer so that I can see if there are any problems straight away. I highly recommend them - but remember that they don't remove the need to do your other tests as normal....

HTH, Eddie

I used one when I did a fishless cycle on my 10G. It was as good as its word. When I would add the ammonia the disc thing would change to dark blue within seconds. Then by morning when the ammonia was neutralized it would go right back to yellow. I think it is pretty reliable.

EddieW said:
I also use the Seachem ones.

I got one to try it out and checked it against a test kit - all the indications seemed good.

I now have one on each of my tanks right next to the thermometer so that I can see if there are any problems straight away. I highly recommend them - but remember that they don't remove the need to do your other tests as normal....

HTH, Eddie
they sound cool
know where i can get one mail order in uk?

Andy,

Found four internet stockists for you - take your pick :)

Koi Water Garden - £7.50 inc carriage. No on-line ordering but do do mail order.

Pets Parade - £7.99 plus £3.50 delivery for orders up to £49.99 or free over that. (This is where I go mine - I ordered 4 plus some other goods to get free delivery).

The Water Zoo - £8.95 plus delivery at cost. No on-line ordering but do do some mail order.

Aquatics Warehouse - £8.99 plus £4.00 delivery for orders under £35, free over that.

HTH, Eddie

Most reactions

Back