Ammonia

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CysticCrab

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey this is Cody, i just got a new tank and one of the fish i had, had ick and it spread to the other fish, i have since got rid of it and fish are doing fine, but while i was doing the medicating, i was old t take out my filter, witch i did and in my last test of the water, everything was normal sept the ammonia, is this just a normal thing cuz i took out the filter, i have done a water change, and yeah just wondering if it will go back down in a couple days. This is a tiger barb tank btw,
Cheers
Cody

Bassicly you just started the cycle over again so now you need to monitor the ammonia daily and then do water changes when it goes above .0

When you took the filter out what did you do with it and how long was it out for?

If your filter was running while in the other tank and the water was dechlorinated then the bacteria would have gone into a suspended state while they have no food (ammonia). That's why you're getting an ammonia reading now as it'll take a few days for them to wake up again. In the mean time make sure you keep up with the water changes to ensure that ammonia and nitrite are kept under 0.25ppm.

If your filter was running while in the other tank and the water was dechlorinated then the bacteria would have gone into a suspended state while they have no food (ammonia). That's why you're getting an ammonia reading now as it'll take a few days for them to wake up again. In the mean time make sure you keep up with the water changes to ensure that ammonia and nitrite are kept under 0.25ppm.
Cheers

Most reactions

Back