Ammonia Removers/binders

saz326

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My boss has decided he would like an aquarium.. he is doing a fish in cycle (Which I approve of when done correctly). On viewing his set-up today, he pulled out a bottle of ammonia remover.

.... now I have a question. Ammonia is Bad for fish but feeds the filters - yes or no?

I have advised him not to use the ammonia remover as:
1. he needs to be able to monitor the water parameters to see how his cycle is going,
2. The filter bacteria need a source of ammonia

Have I given him the right advice?

This is a quite complicated question to answer but i will do my best.

If the ammonia "removers" was in bottle form then chances are it does not remove the ammonia so much as change harmful ammonia into harmless ammonium. That ammonium will feed the filter fine the problem is that the ammonia level is rarely the issue in fish in cycles. 1 PPM of ammonia is transformed into 3ppm of nitrite and the nitrite bacteria tend to take twice as long to develop than the ammonia bacteria. Meaning that nitrite spikes are the most common issue with fish in cycles. To maintain the cycle he needs to keep both the ammonia and nitrite levels below 0.25ppm which can require regular(daily) and large (50%+) water changes.

If the ammonia remover is in the form of filter media, then i still wouldn't reccomend using it as although it does absorb ammonia it has a finite capacity and will start leeching ammonia back into the water once it is full.

Can I just ask, I use Seachem prime and this says it detoxifys Nitrite aswell, so would it not depend what type he is using in regards to the nitrate?

I really rate seachem prime but it isn't a replacement for good water quality. It is designed to detoxify small quantities of nitrite in your tap water, not to be used to detoxify water in a fish in cycle. Fish in cycles allow you too have fish straight away but the downside is a massive increase in maintenance for the first 4-16 weeks. I'm afraid there's nothing available in bottles, tablets or any other form that replaces good old fashioned water changes. The only possible exception to this is in heavily planted tanks where plants can absorb Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.

Thanks.. that's exactly what I wanted to hear.. yeah - its the type in a bottle that binds ammonia. Indeed it appears that the ammonia bacteria have colonised the filter and he does currently have a nitrite issue - so more water changes for him! (ha ha ha - been there, done that!)

Cheers all.

Most reactions

Back