Ammonia Reading

smitt_graham

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My test kit for ammonia only goes to a reading of 4 mg/ltr on the chart, is this the same as 5 or 6 ppm.
Any help please

I don't know what situation you are testing for ammonia matey. I will probably get shot down for this, but I think you should be getting a test kit that allows for higher ppm readings if you are cycling a tank as you need to know what ammonia to add depending on current, (usually quite high) levels of ammonia.

But a kit that measures up to 4ppm should be adequate for testing a cycled tank as any reading above 0 is bad for the fish.

I don't know what situation you are testing for ammonia matey. I will probably get shot down for this, but I think you should be getting a test kit that allows for higher ppm readings if you are cycling a tank as you need to know what ammonia to add depending on current, (usually quite high) levels of ammonia.

But a kit that measures up to 4ppm should be adequate for testing a cycled tank as any reading above 0 is bad for the fish.
Yeah thats what i use for my tank at the moment . So i will go out tomorrow and buy a new testing kit before adding the ammonia
Cheers for your help

I think there will be more advice offered by some of the more experienced posters on here. I am very new to all of this testing thing...but my answers are my own interpretation to your questions. Best of luck to you.

I would just use the one you have. Keep the ammonia levels at 4ppm (4mg/Ltr) and it will cycle fine. You normally try to keep the level at 5ppm so 4ppm will still work fine.
When the current kit runs out then buy a different brand that can read higher if you like. But as mentioned by Gillymore, any reading above 0ppm in a stocked tank is bad for the fish. So your current kit will probably suffice.

I would just use the one you have. Keep the ammonia levels at 4ppm (4mg/Ltr) and it will cycle fine. You normally try to keep the level at 5ppm so 4ppm will still work fine.
When the current kit runs out then buy a different brand that can read higher if you like. But as mentioned by Gillymore, any reading above 0ppm in a stocked tank is bad for the fish. So your current kit will probably suffice.
Cheers for the advice. Im not toworried about my stocked tank been running almost a year and all levels :good: . It was for the new one to get ammonia levels right for fishless cycle

if you have a fully established tank why don't you steal some filter material from it and set the new tank up straight away. Then you won't have to do a fishless cycle.

if you have a fully established tank why don't you steal some filter material from it and set the new tank up straight away. Then you won't have to do a fishless cycle.
could you read what i put on my other thread "cycling help needed" and get back to me would be much appreciated

Most reactions

Back