Ameca Splendens Not Eating Algae

titusmighty

Reaction score
Well, it's just that. My Ameca speldens are not eating the hair algae in my tank and I'm wondering what I should do to entice them to take a nibble...

They are great fish but the LFS said that they would take care of the algae. Is this typical behavior?

thanks

Well, it's just that. My Ameca speldens are not eating the hair algae in my tank and I'm wondering what I should do to entice them to take a nibble...

They are great fish but the LFS said that they would take care of the algae. Is this typical behavior?

thanks

It may be that they are not eating sufficient hair algae to make a difference; it may be that they are eating your plants instead or it may be that you are feeding them something far more palatable than hair algae. It may also be that your Ameca splendens just aren't behaving typically.

If you want to get rid of algae, then you could try removing it by hand, reducing lighting levels or duration and feeding less; unfortunately I don't know of any fish which are efficient at eradicating algae, even algae eaters are only any good at keeping algae under control if they are given a helping hand by the aquarium owner.

thanks

It may be that they are not eating sufficient hair algae to make a difference; it may be that they are eating your plants instead or it may be that you are feeding them something far more palatable than hair algae. It may also be that your Ameca splendens just aren't behaving typically.

If you want to get rid of algae, then you could try removing it by hand, reducing lighting levels or duration and feeding less; unfortunately I don't know of any fish which are efficient at eradicating algae, even algae eaters are only any good at keeping algae under control if they are given a helping hand by the aquarium owner.

If you are in the USA, try to get your hands on some florida flag fish. I think they might be availible in the EU too. They will definitely eat hair algae.

My Ameca splendens do eat algae, but prefer flakes to the algae. I put some saltwater macroalgae in there and they totally shredded it.

Most reactions

Back